Rust proofing my Coupe

Step by step DIY's to help you modify your Hyundai
CoupeMeisterUK
Searching in the dark

Rust proofing my Coupe

Post#1 » Sat May 05, 2018 11:30 am

I absolutely adore my 2003 Coupe and wish to keep hold of the car. In 2012 I used Waxoyl to treat the chassis area and wheel arches and had a local garage to repair some slight rusting around the wheel arches at the rear. I've just been searching online and came across a brand called DINITROL who seem to supply a full kit with cavity waxes and a rust remover treatment. Has anybody used this product before? Is it better than Waxoyl https://www.dinitroldirect.com/vehicle-rustproofing-kits/ any feedback appreciated cheers Keith

EazyDuz24
Getting noticed

Re: Rust proofing my Coupe

Post#2 » Sat May 05, 2018 12:53 pm

Dinitrol Vs waxoyl is one of those never ending internet arguments. You'll find opinions on both sides. As it happens I'm in the process of treating the rear subframe on my car. What I've done is used Kurust, then Hammerite smooth black, then waxoyl on top.

Shel
Club Supervisor

Post#3 » Sat May 05, 2018 2:47 pm

EazyDuz24 wrote:Dinitrol Vs waxoyl is one of those never ending internet arguments. You'll find opinions on both sides. As it happens I'm in the process of treating the rear subframe on my car. What I've done is used Kurust, then Hammerite smooth black, then waxoyl on top.

:text-yeahthat: Tons of stuff different folk like. I like Gt Pro Tech Line Cavity and Waxoyl underbody seal. Whatever is best for the application really. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
To err is human....who said I was human? Live long and prosper... Nanu nanu :dance:

robbo
Club Supervisor

Post#4 » Sat May 05, 2018 4:38 pm

i found kurust to be useless so don't use it, aquasteel, por15, dinitrol and waxoyl are all good and as shel said above different applications need a different approach.

waxoyl or a cavity wax should be used inside box section like chassis rails, inside the sills and the rear subframe, if coating the outside of the subframe or for general underneath protection i'd prefer to use a rubberised underseal with built in waxoyl rather than straight forward hammerite. This will give better stone chip protection so will last longer.

a guick run through of por15 & aquasteel can be seen here
My F2 Evo build
Member #0026: Never knowingly under polished

EazyDuz24
Getting noticed

Post#5 » Sat May 05, 2018 5:21 pm

Interesting. What makes you say Kurust is useless? Most rust converters contain the same chemicals and do the same thing. Turns blue, leaves are dark finish etc

robbo
Club Supervisor

Post#6 » Sat May 05, 2018 5:53 pm

EazyDuz24 wrote:Interesting. What makes you say Kurust is useless? Most rust converters contain the same chemicals and do the same thing. Turns blue, leaves are dark finish etc

i just found it didn't work, i sanded back an area and treated with kurust, thought i did it all correct and gave everything time to dry etc before applying primer and stuff. the rust came back within a month or so and was even worse than it was before, kinda like the kurust just angered it a bit :icon-biggrin:
My F2 Evo build
Member #0026: Never knowingly under polished

Shel
Club Supervisor

Post#7 » Sat May 05, 2018 8:50 pm

Aquasteel is used by NATO on military equipment including Royal Navy ships and also by the guy that told me about who works for Cammell Laird sorting out oil rigs, oil tankers, ferries, buoys and other huge shipping where Aquasteel is often delivered and used by the tanker load.

Kurust is sold in the Pound Shop...
To err is human....who said I was human? Live long and prosper... Nanu nanu :dance:

EazyDuz24
Getting noticed

Post#8 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:19 pm

Shel wrote:Aquasteel is used by NATO on military equipment including Royal Navy ships and also by the guy that told me about who works for Cammell Laird sorting out oil rigs, oil tankers, ferries, buoys and other huge shipping where Aquasteel is often delivered and used by the tanker load.

Kurust is sold in the Pound Shop...

I own and have used both and they both look the same and have exactly the same finish when used. Milky in colour, then blue, then a dark finish. There's also a member here who used Aquaseal and black hammerite when refurbing his sunroof and a year later it rusted again.
Did you really see it in the pound shop? If so there would be a great business buying them all and selling on on Ebay because even the poxy 90ml bottle is £5.97
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... t&_sacat=0

Either way I'll update my diary a year from now and see what state that rear subframe is in after Kurust treatment.

Return to “HCOC Step By Step Guides- your guides from members”