Faults on the early coupes are now well recognised.find them here
mustard
Regular player
Coupe: Gen1 (1996 -1999)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rust behind the plastic seals & rear wheel arch

Post by mustard »

As stated in the title, due to the age i think the rear arches tends to rust so have a prod and a poke to see if the metal has rusted away, the rear arch collects a lot of muck and unless you give it a good clean once in a while it will sooner or later rot the arch due to the salt etc during the winter months.
Another thing which is harder to spot is the rust behind the plastic seals which covers the outer seals, these tends to rot away the rear of the seal near the wheel arch, once again just check along the bottom of the plastic seal from under the car to see if there is any rust and also push against the plastic seal that runs underneath the car and if you hear a "crunching" noise that will be that the metal behind it is rotten away. (hope you understand what i mean)
Below is a couple of pictures what i had to do to my car, hope this make a bit more sense.
coupe 002.jpg
coupe 003.jpg
FIND ALL THE FIXINGS YOU NEED TO PERFORM THIS TREATMENT HERE - http://www.hyundaicoupeownersclub.co.uk ... 61&t=13034
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added link to the fixings thread ;)

Mustard...Nice & Hot.
androo 007

Re: Rust behind the plastic seals & rear wheel arch

Post by androo 007 »

Ahh thats not too bad pal. Very minimal id say really. Bet youre glad to have the knowledge you do though, i guess if its caught right and done now, it'll last forever!

I think whilst you're welding the sills you should install some extra rust-proofing. I personally would 100% suggest a twin entry IM :lol:
MJNewton
Getting noticed
Coupe: Siii / TSiii
Engine: 2.0

Post by MJNewton »

Rik,

Can you elaborate on what's involved with removing the sills? Your mention of replacement clips suggests it's a rather one-way action with some of the fixings?

I'm planning on swapping mine over for those off my old Coupe... for some reason there's a whole load of paint missing on these - both sides.
MJNewton
Getting noticed

Post by MJNewton »

Ah, okay thanks. Famous last words, but I guess I might be okay given I've got two sets of clips (two cars) so hopefully between them I'll keep enough good ones!! It'll be interesting to see what lurks behind the old sill covers... that was amongst what failed its MOT!
coupecrazyman
Advice star

Post by coupecrazyman »

Hi all , plastic sills etc, do you just pull or is there a knack ??? Doin thi job when it's warmer , ie wheel off, brake service , rust cure, wax oil, links checked for wear, shocker check , while I'm at it .
smokebelch
Club manager
Coupe: Gen3

Post by smokebelch »

completely off topic and i fully apologise for it.
A question for MJNewton really.....your avatar.......whos car is that?........I only ask as you use it as your avatar,I know someone else uses it over the road (apart from you) for his avatar and its used on a wikipedia page relating to the coupe.....i is confuffled :confusion-shrug: :icon-lol:
There are no bad guys.........just disturbed guys.......but know this......I am a nightmare walking
[email protected]
MJNewton
Getting noticed

Post by MJNewton »

smokebelch wrote:.....your avatar.......whos car is that?......
It's mine! Taken outside a church near where I live.

It was me that uploaded it to Wiki. I'm curious to know where else it's being used though... (although I don't mind!)

It's not too off topic though - rust killed it in the end so now I'm in the process of transferring its good bits to my 'new' F2 to allow it to live on!
mustard
Regular player

Post by mustard »

MJNewton wrote:Ah, okay thanks. Famous last words, but I guess I might be okay given I've got two sets of clips (two cars) so hopefully between them I'll keep enough good ones!! It'll be interesting to see what lurks behind the old sill covers... that was amongst what failed its MOT!
Hello mat
hopefully Mat your will not be too bad but just be prepared for the worst, unfortunately when i press the plastic arches near the rear of the sill i felt that "crunch" yep the dreaded rust.
If the sills have been on the car for a long time i should think most of the clips will break, Rik stated £40 and that is cheap i bought mine a few years back from a hyundai dealer and they were £70 odd quid.
Also when i was taking off the sills there was so much ~@*! at the back of the arches, however i welded it up and put loads of undersill on the outside (as you will never see it due to the plastic cover) and waxoyl the sill. I had a peep a few days back and it still as good gold so was well worth it in the end.
Mustard...Nice & Hot.
mustard
Regular player

Post by mustard »

coupecrazyman wrote:Hi all , plastic sills etc, do you just pull or is there a knack ??? Doin thi job when it's warmer , ie wheel off, brake service , rust cure, wax oil, links checked for wear, shocker check , while I'm at it .
From what i remember as it was a few years back is there are a few screws to take off first, there are a couple at the back and running along the bottom of the sill and will more than likely be rusty. The screws on my car was very hard to remove, some of mine the insert (philips) were rounded off so i had to drill them out which was a lot of hassle. It's then a case of carefully pulling the plastic sills, i can't remember which direction to pull the sills off but tell the truth the clips are likely to break.
My advice is:
1.Be prepared for the worst as the sills do collect a lot of muck, salt etc so there maybe rust , and be perpared for possible welding . if you find no rust you have had a lucky escape. However i still advise to waxoyl even if there is no rust found.
2. Before you start buy the clips for the sills as you are unlikely to save the original clips i guarentee some will break due to age.
3. If you have rust, once you got rid of the rust be it welded or treated i recommend underseal, painting or stone chipping the metal outer sill,don't forget you won't see this as the plastic sill will cover it.
4.Get some Waxoyl or equivilant, and squirt loads and loads of it, if your like me you will not want to do this this again for a very long time.
5. Please use brand new self tapping screws (ones that are unlike to rust in a few weeks or you will be having trouble removing them in the future).
5. oh last thing. i think that the sill has some drain holes i can't remember if this is the case make sure there not blocked or you will be treating your sills against rust very soon.
Hope i haven't put you off :handgestures-thumbupleft: it will be worth it in the end. :icon-biggrin:
Mustard...Nice & Hot.
androo 007

Post by androo 007 »

MJNewton wrote:
smokebelch wrote:.....your avatar.......whos car is that?......
It's mine! Taken outside a church near where I live.

It was me that uploaded it to Wiki. I'm curious to know where else it's being used though... (although I don't mind!)

It's not too off topic though - rust killed it in the end so now I'm in the process of transferring its good bits to my 'new' F2 to allow it to live on!
wow - thats one car i NEVER expected to see go to the scrap yard in the sky. Glad to see you got another tho MJ!
MJNewton
Getting noticed

Post by MJNewton »

Ha ha, you and me both! It had done 170k and was still running sweet as anything and whilst I did try and look after it I did always wonder how it had aged so well as hardly anything was replaced over the years e.g. it was still on its original clutch!

As much as I did look after it mechanically, I must admit I didn't really pay all that much attention to the corrosion side of things - at least that which was out of sight. Hence, it is perhaps little wonder that it was always going to be the underneath that finally finished it off...
MJNewton
Getting noticed

Post by MJNewton »

Mine was the old classic of jacking the rear up and whilst the jack was moving the car wasn't...

It's funny because this was a week before the MOT... I drove it there quite happily, albeit expecting it to fail, but once he pronounced it dead my drive home was a completely different experience... I was half expecting the car to split in two! I must say, it was quite a poignant moment pulling into the drive knowing that that was the last journey I'd ever make in it... I do feel somewhat better now that the interior is in my F2 so it kind of feels like part of it at least lives on!
MJNewton
Getting noticed

Post by MJNewton »

mustard wrote:2. Before you start buy the clips for the sills as you are unlikely to save the original clips i guarentee some will break due to age.
I took one of the sills off my old Evo today and I thought I ought to correct this piece of advice...

You said some will break due to age. Well, in my case, they all broke! :laughing-rollingyellow:

It probably didn't help my doing it whilst it was 1°C outside and the plastic clips were probably a bit more brittle than they otherwise could've been!

Whilst this isn't an issue for my old car, it has made me hesitant to remove the sills off my new one. Do the clips really cost £40? How many do you get? Presumably around 500 for that price...?!

Mat
MJNewton
Getting noticed

Post by MJNewton »

That's more like it.... Would be good to hear how you get on (and would be happy to combine an order if you think there are cost savings to be made).

I've been searching for 'hyundai clips' on eBay and there are actually a fair few that come up, some of which might actually fit the bill for only a few quid. I say 'might' because as they don't all carry part numbers (I'm assuming they're 3rd party generic clips) they are yellow and look pretty similar to the originals. Will do some further investigation.

By the way, it's no wonder we get so much rust on these cars around the sills - check out what 14 years of dirt build-up looks like:

(As if the design isn't bad enough to collect the dirt like this, but they even put the sunroof drain outlet above to double up as a plant/corrosion watering system)

That thing must've been 1.5-2" deep. I reckon you could age the car counting the layers...
aaronyuri
Advice star

Post by aaronyuri »

MJNewton wrote:Mine was the old classic of jacking the rear up and whilst the jack was moving the car wasn't...
Just had a quick browse through... when using a trolley jack, place a cloth over the contact surface to prevent the jack rubbing off the underseal and inevitably causing that area to rust. ;)

Same thing can be said for inside the arches where people have been using hammers to bash the calipers/carriers off and scratched the underseal there. Always sand it down and paint over it. I find it's the little things that make it all count.

I had both my arches painted and rust treated (in about the last 8 months) but unfortunately it has come back through already! So a chop on the arches is the next course of action. I know treating the rust will only keep it at bay temporarily, but I honestly thought it would've bought me a year or more. Oh well.

Another place my car rusted was at the front of the sunroof - that small lip that the seal matches to. It was starting to bubble on the roof itself which is when I noticed it and I caught it in the early stages. It was all grinded out, treated and then repainted - no more rust. If that had gone further, I'd be looking at a full interior/headliner removal and then new metal welded in place on the roof; which would've been extremely costly!
MJNewton
Getting noticed

Post by MJNewton »

I'm going to swap at least one of my sill covers soon and was looking at the clips from the old one - they're all the same (12 of them) on mine rather than two different types. They were all like this:

That's a photo from this item on eBay which I've bought a set of (£5.80/10 - I managed to save a few so don't need all 12) and will report back how things go.
MJNewton
Getting noticed

Post by MJNewton »

Kind of - I had to convert the screws from philips heads to slot with a Dremel so that I could get some purchase on them! It didn't take long and is probably easier the drilling.

The thing is, the heat from this process may have partially melted the hole in the plastic clips so we'll have to see if they're still good enough to provide a decent bite for the screws. I could always go up a size with some new screws.
MJNewton
Getting noticed

Post by MJNewton »

He he.. Out of the 24 clips I broke 23 of them. :icon-lol:
MJNewton
Getting noticed

Post by MJNewton »

It'll look rough as you say, but there's nothing that sticks out beyond the extremeties of the existing bodywork. In fact the only thing there is a bracket/strip but that is tucked up right underneath the door, and the door itself sticks out beyond this.
Last edited by MJNewton on Thu May 09, 2013 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.