V6 Crankshaft failure AKA Knock'o'death

Whole new coupe....whole new faults some only just coming to light
androo 007
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: V6 Crankshaft failure AKA Knock'o'death

Post by androo 007 »

This is VERY interesting Rik, nice one.

Something i didnt realise before... so basically, replacing the bearings at say every 45k, for £400, could dramatically extend the life of the engine?!

androo 007

Post by androo 007 »

Most interesting part, which I cant really believe I've missed before - is the bleedin obvious - the best way to prevent it happening in the first place.

Its something I've not heard Ross mention before either - interesting that. I know if I had a V6, its something i would be STRONGLY considering. After all, like you say, £400 in the scheme of things isnt really much at all
androo 007

Post by androo 007 »

Exactly that!

So i wonder, when they DO go - what else is taken out in the process, that actually causes the repair bills to be so high?
mustard
Regular player
Coupe: Gen1 (1996 -1999)

Post by mustard »

Don't know much about V6s but it seems to be a common problem, but why is this is it due to the material used? i would of thought that a company would have looked into it and made a more reliable set of bearings like Vandervell which i used when i rebuilt a kent and Pinto engine. (showing my age again).
Do we know if such a company have done this?
Mustard...Nice & Hot.
EssexTech

Post by EssexTech »

Hi
I have been asked to give some more advice on this subject. If you can, get the crank replaced as this is the best option. On the other hand a set of shells will allow you time to save up but this is not a long term fix.
Burger28
Getting to like it here
Coupe: Gen3.5
Engine: 2.0
+_number: 0028

Post by Burger28 »

At what point did Hyundai start putting the uprated parts into V6 cars as standard? Are all SIIIs safe? Some 3.5s safe? Did they make it into any Coupé models?
thedupleman
Club Owner
Coupe: s-Coupe (1991-1996)
+_number: 0002

Post by thedupleman »

Actually your better to assume none had it....except warranty cars....remember it basically came to light at end of siii and v6 was long discontinued then....
Look out guys it’s him that thinks he’s in charge!
kevinmac21

Post by kevinmac21 »

No one want the knock o death on their car :angry-banghead:

I did read that auto,s are less prone to it as don't put so much strain on car as manuals
geevee
Learning the ropes
Coupe: Gen3
Engine: 2.7(v6)

Post by geevee »

I fear the answer, but please listen to this: http://goo.gl/vOf9Vq
Is it the kock'o'death you hear and can I scrap my car...? :icon_sad:
The knocking can be heard only outside of the car at idle when the engine is warm. There's no knocking when cold.
Would it help to replace the 5W30 oil by 10W40, perhaps including some TSL?
Lexo
Club Supervisor
Coupe: Siii / TSiii
+_number: 111

Post by Lexo »

Not sure if it is the death rattle or not as never herd it before but Imagine there will be someone along shortly who knows for definite on the knock tho.

Fingers crossed for you.

*Edit: There's Rik already :laughing-rollingyellow:
smokebelch wrote:I'm sure some Reebok classic wearing chav will love the whole look you've got going on
dantanner
Regular contributor
Coupe: Non-Coupe

Post by dantanner »

Firstly get the right oil in it pronto!!! 10w40 as Rik said. Also have a listen around the car with the bonnet up so try and pinpoint where the noise is coming from. As you have been running thinner oil it might be that you just have a tappy engine and the thicker stuff will cure that over time. If the sound is coming from the top then you should be fine. If it seems to be coming from deeper in the engine it could be the death knock
Suffers from CDO! It's the same as OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be.

My old V6 build thread

For event, wedding and family portrait photography - SLT Photography
adamski

Post by adamski »

Mmmmmm
I wonder if my noise could be the crankshaft bearings?
geevee
Learning the ropes

Post by geevee »

rik wrote:c. If the engine is still running, you may be able to get away with fitting replacement shells.
Big end bearings or main bearings? Or both?
adamski

Post by adamski »

rik wrote:That noise I heard at Thetford? Not a chance...have you got a new noise, Adam?

Yeah the noise from Thetford - the same one.I thought it may be Crankshaft bearings as it is a high pitched "drone" that happens when idling or crawling along put stops when I put load on.Well come end of April it will be sorted one way or another.Just drive her into my local garage and say "fix that annoying noise".........................Mind you - He may well just remove my Stereo and think hes cured the din :icon-lol:
adamski

Post by adamski »

The expensive area's lol
Thanasie
Getting noticed

Post by Thanasie »

The reason why I went to a 2.0 - The V6 was costing quite a bit along with about 2 grands worth of work needing doing to it - mainly in the clutch/gearbox/flywheel area :(
Hyundai Coupe's I've owned -

2005 1.6 Gen 3.5 - Sold
2006 2.7 V6 Gen 3.5 - Very sadly sold
2007 2.0 SIII - Sold
2003 2.7 V6 Gen 3 -Broke for spares
1999 2.0 F2 Evo - Still got
2004 2.7 V6 - Sold
2004 2.0 Gen 3 - Sold
2007 2.7 V6 Auto SIII - Still got
geevee
Learning the ropes

Post by geevee »

nellys gto wrote:i done both on mine but it was mainlly the big end bearings that had started to fail.
OK, thanks. I've changed the 5W30 oil for 10W40 Valvoline Maxlife now and installed a new OEM oil filter. There was far too much oil in the sump (almost 1 litre!). Maybe the previous owner overfilled deliberately in an attempt to cover up the knocking, which obviously failed. With the new oil however the knocking remains, which didn't came as a surprise.
I acquired the car just two weeks ago by exchanging my 1961 Volvo PV544 and though I made a test drive in the Hyundai I didn't listen to the engine idle when out of the car, which has proved to be a serious mistake... :angry-banghead:
So now it's time to have the sump removed and the big end bearings replaced, possibly the main bearings as well, depending on their condition.
geevee
Learning the ropes

Post by geevee »

nellys gto wrote:...but for peice of mind i would do both, as i did. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Do you only have to remove the sump to be able to replace the big end bearings as well as the main bearings?
With many cars, replacing the main bearings means engine out, I thought...
And how much did you have to pay for the main bearings?
I'd like to repeat that the knocking noise is totally absent after a cold start. Does it nevertheless make sense to suspect the bearings?
Someone else mentioned the camshaft adjuster as a possible cause. It seems to me the noise should be more like a diesel then.
geevee
Learning the ropes

Post by geevee »

It's very disappointing that the initial post of this topic by Rik has been deleted. I can recall the post as being very informative.
Re the "knock of death", I find it remarkable that this problem seems to be unknown either over here in Holland or in the USA, whereas lots of V6 Coupes were sold in the States. http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/hyunda ... death.html
Perhaps different cranks of unequal quality were used for different markets and made in different places? The inferior cranks ending up in RHD cars? Just looking for a possible explanation, but who knows the facts?
Rod Panhard
Regular contributor

Post by Rod Panhard »

Can you not buy oversize bearings? Usually you can get a crank regrind and fit oversize bearings to compensate. If the crank bearings are thin and the problem then surely oversize thicker bearings will help this problem. You just take your chances and hope for the best but if they do go you shell out for a crank regrind and oversize bearings.
Outlaw
Regular contributor

Post by Outlaw »

geevee wrote:It's very disappointing that the initial post of this topic by Rik has been deleted.
That was unfortunate. However the information is in the public domain. Have a look/search here:

http://forums.hyundaicoupe.info/
dantanner wrote:
Burger28 wrote:Knowing Dupe this is a motorcycle that has one Hyundai wing mirror on it and he's saying it's a Coupé :laughing-rollingyellow:
This is sig-worthy :icon-lol:
thedupleman
Club Owner
Coupe: s-Coupe (1991-1996)
+_number: 0002

Post by thedupleman »

geevee wrote:It's very disappointing that the initial post of this topic by Rik has been deleted. I can recall the post as being very informative.
Re the "knock of death", I find it remarkable that this problem seems to be unknown either over here in Holland or in the USA, whereas lots of V6 Coupes were sold in the States. http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/hyunda ... death.html
Perhaps different cranks of unequal quality were used for different markets and made in different places? The inferior cranks ending up in RHD cars? Just looking for a possible explanation, but who knows the facts?
Yes I often wondered that
Look out guys it’s him that thinks he’s in charge!
geevee
Learning the ropes

Post by geevee »

Outlaw wrote:
geevee wrote:It's very disappointing that the initial post of this topic by Rik has been deleted.
That was unfortunate. However the information is in the public domain. Have a look/search here:

http://forums.hyundaicoupe.info/
Thanks, well, I found this:
http://hyundaicoupeclub.co.uk/engine-wh ... 61274.html
The 2.7 BTW is NOT a stroked version of the 2.5 but an overbore version.
If oil distribution is the problem, then the quality of big end and crank bearings don’t need to be bad, which they probably aren’t anyway if you read this:
http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/forum ... ottom.html
However, were the bottom ends of all 2.7 V6 Delta engines the same?
Is the knock of death a common problem as well among owners of Santa Fe and Kia Sportage 2.7 models?
And why is the problem unknown in the USA?
All V6 engines were built in South Korea, so maybe different driving styles, disciplines and/or conditions between the UK and the USA cause the problem? I can’t think of anything else...
Carlsberg
Tuscani owners club
Coupe: Non-Coupe
+_number: 1985

Post by Carlsberg »

The Knock Of Death is not a common problem with the Sante Fe, Trajet or even the Sedan. It is only the coupe. Have a look to see what type of people own the Sante Fe, Trajet and Sedan? They keep on top of servicing, where as some people who get the coupe neglate the servicing and also put the wrong oil in them. That is what has caused V6 to go bang. There have been hardly any go in the USA and anywhere else in the world for that matter
These users thanked the author Carlsberg for the post:
Thanasie (Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:13 pm)
Rating: 8.33%
Mike.Lawre
Club manager
+_number: 0003

Post by Mike.Lawre »

Carlsberg wrote:The Knock Of Death is not a common problem with the Sante Fe, Trajet or even the Sedan. It is only the coupe. Have a look to see what type of people own the Sante Fe, Trajet and Sedan? They keep on top of servicing, where as some people who get the coupe neglate the servicing and also put the wrong oil in them. That is what has caused V6 to go bang. There have been hardly any go in the USA and anywhere else in the world for that matter
:text-yeahthat:
Founder member of "The Grumpy Old Men's Section"

Find me at The Rose Theatre http://rosetheatre.co.uk