Whole new coupe....whole new faults some only just coming to light
foxfeeder
Coupe: Veloster
Engine: 1.6
Has thanked: 0

Re: V6 Crankshaft failure AKA Knock'o'death

Post by foxfeeder »

thedupleman wrote:
geevee wrote:It's very disappointing that the initial post of this topic by Rik has been deleted. I can recall the post as being very informative.
Re the "knock of death", I find it remarkable that this problem seems to be unknown either over here in Holland or in the USA, whereas lots of V6 Coupes were sold in the States. http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/hyunda ... death.html
Perhaps different cranks of unequal quality were used for different markets and made in different places? The inferior cranks ending up in RHD cars? Just looking for a possible explanation, but who knows the facts?
Yes I often wondered that
Well as you've said yourself, automatics are less prone. I'd bet the USA ratio is more Autos than it is here.

No Dougal! This one is small, but that one is far away. Small. FAR away!
foxfeeder
Coupe: Veloster
Engine: 1.6

Post by foxfeeder »

geevee wrote:
Outlaw wrote:
geevee wrote:It's very disappointing that the initial post of this topic by Rik has been deleted.
That was unfortunate. However the information is in the public domain. Have a look/search here:

http://forums.hyundaicoupe.info/
Thanks, well, I found this:
http://hyundaicoupeclub.co.uk/engine-wh ... 61274.html
The 2.7 BTW is NOT a stroked version of the 2.5 but an overbore version.
If oil distribution is the problem, then the quality of big end and crank bearings don’t need to be bad, which they probably aren’t anyway if you read this:
http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/forum ... ottom.html
However, were the bottom ends of all 2.7 V6 Delta engines the same?
Is the knock of death a common problem as well among owners of Santa Fe and Kia Sportage 2.7 models?
And why is the problem unknown in the USA?
All V6 engines were built in South Korea, so maybe different driving styles, disciplines and/or conditions between the UK and the USA cause the problem? I can’t think of anything else...
Been thinking about this (not too much as it doesn't really concern me - 2 litre owner!) but if that hyundaiperformance.com poster is right, and everything is top notch quality and materials, the answer can only be oil supply. It would make sense. Ask any 2.2 litre Vauxhall owner with an early car (2000-2002). The oil spray nozzle for the timing chain was too small (1mm - later versions were 4mm!). The result was chain failure at a fair old mileage (45-60000) which always did engine damage to a greater or lesser degree.

Sounds like either a lack of pressure, which would be a problem for the crank, or insufficient feed, possibly due to small or blocked oil drillings. Blockage can be a problem with bad oil and some fuel/oil mixes, remember the black sludge issue back in the day? (VAG owners don't need to remember, some of them still have it!).

So, why should Santa Fe/Sportage owners and US/Dutch V6 Coupe owners not suffer it? One thought, which I cannot answer as I don't have access to any of them, is that maybe, due to space issues in the RHD Coupe engine bay, maybe it has a unique oil pump type or location? Can anyone confirm this?

No Dougal! This one is small, but that one is far away. Small. FAR away!
Thanasie
Getting noticed
Coupe: Siii / TSiii
Engine: 2.7(v6)

Post by Thanasie »

So, why should Santa Fe/Sportage owners and US/Dutch V6 Coupe owners not suffer it? One thought, which I cannot answer as I don't have access to any of them, is that maybe, due to space issues in the RHD Coupe engine bay, maybe it has a unique oil pump type or location? Can anyone confirm this?
I'm pretty sure the oil pump runs from the crank so it's within the engine. If they were different, they'd have a different engine code I would think ...
Hyundai Coupe's I've owned -

2005 1.6 Gen 3.5 - Sold
2006 2.7 V6 Gen 3.5 - Very sadly sold
2007 2.0 SIII - Sold
2003 2.7 V6 Gen 3 -Broke for spares
1999 2.0 F2 Evo - Still got
2004 2.7 V6 - Sold
2004 2.0 Gen 3 - Sold
2007 2.7 V6 Auto SIII - Still got
thedupleman
Club Owner
Coupe: s-Coupe (1991-1996)
Engine: 2.0
+_number: 0002

Post by thedupleman »

They do go bang in the states just not as often. Something is obviously different but not neccersarily within the engine as Thanasie says it's very unlikely they would internally change the engine without a new code
Look out guys it’s him that thinks he’s in charge!
nissan300zx
Been thanked: 0

Post by nissan300zx »

ive got to disgree very slightlly with what mike has said the coupe i have know had only 84k on the clock with full service history and it shot the conrod. the engine that is in it know came from my old coupe. that had done 112k and the noise had just started. and that had no service history. the part that fails is the big ends bearings.but i had all the bearings done. but my mate who done it said it was just the big ends that where starting to where. so my advice is if you want to by a v6 do so. but pay the £75 or so for a set of big end bearings. and around 2hours labour to fit them. you are then pretty much set for a long time.
Thanasie
Getting noticed

Post by Thanasie »

nissan300zx wrote:so my advice is if you want to by a v6 do so. but pay the £75 or so for a set of big end bearings. and around 2hours labour to fit them. you are then pretty much set for a long time.
Also check for sludge whilst in there! It doesn't hurt to take the rocker covers off whilst your doing the big ends!

My last V6 which was knocking had no sludge in the bottom. I changed the bearings and all was good. It then blew up and snapped a cam shaft!

Upon stripping the engine, I found a lot of sludge in the top which blocked the oil hole to one of the cam journals, this is where it seized, snapped the camshaft, stripped the cam belt of its teeth, bent all of the valves in the rear head, snapped one on the rear middle piston and therefore snapping the con rod and punching a hole in the block! So if you do go and change the bearings, please, please, check for sludge in the top end too! Even if you don't do the bearings, it's a good service item to do to save your engine!

If you're worried about sludge build up, rather than putting an engine flush treatment through, open it up and physically remove it! If it's a lot you risk blocking up oil passages with loose sludge and doing the above to your engine!
These users thanked the author Thanasie for the post:
JayDKirk (Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:22 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

2005 1.6 Gen 3.5 - Sold
2007 2.0 SIII - Sold
2004 2.7 V6 - Sold
2004 2.0 Gen 3 - Sold
nissan300zx
Been thanked: 0

Post by nissan300zx »

too many short joutney that mr t and a lack of matinance.
Thanasie
Getting noticed

Post by Thanasie »

yeah, that's exactly what it probably was sadly!

2005 1.6 Gen 3.5 - Sold
2007 2.0 SIII - Sold
2004 2.7 V6 - Sold
2004 2.0 Gen 3 - Sold