Gen 3 Throttle Position Sensor - part numbers?

Whole new coupe....whole new faults some only just coming to light
DickDastardly
Getting to know you
Coupe: Gen3
Engine: 2.0
Has thanked: 0

Gen 3 Throttle Position Sensor - part numbers?

Post by DickDastardly »

Hi,

My girlfriend has recently acquired a 2002 2.0 Auto SE which tends to hunt in the revs a little. once warm and in heavy traffic it will hunt more, drop a lot, and regularly stall.

after much reading around, I have checked the inlet manifold for leaks (seems ok), changed plugs and checked HT leads (swapped out for a known ok set). the TPS seemed a cheap enough fix at £8.99 from ebay, so it was ordered and received.

old one off, area cleaned, o-ring and connector seal greased and new one fitted. go to fit the plug/socket and the plug won't go into the new TPS socket - gutted!

does anybody know if the TPS on the 2002 was a particularly unusual part? Does anybody have a part number for this?

attached are photos of the original and new TPS, the original has a longer neck for the socket with ribs for the plug to slide into. The new one has a much shorter socket with a plain female part.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

DD

DickDastardly
Getting to know you

Re: Gen 3 Throttle Position Sensor - part numbers?

Post by DickDastardly »

DSC_0072.JPG
attachments didnt seem to work, so here we go trying again...
DSC_0073.JPG
Glen M
Advice star
Coupe: Gen3.5

Post by Glen M »

Couldn't say for sure but the early gen3 were not VVT so you may need to get a sensor from a non VVT motor.
DickDastardly
Getting to know you

Post by DickDastardly »

Hi Glen M,

thanks for this. does that mean it may be better to aim for a Gen2 part? how will I know if the motor is VVT?

Cheers,

DD
Glen M
Advice star
Coupe: Gen3.5

Post by Glen M »

As I say that's just a guess mate. I would of thought there is a part number stamped onto the sensor? Maybe best to look for that.
DickDastardly
Getting to know you

Post by DickDastardly »

soaked the old one in WD40 and tried to flush it out a bit before putting back on last night. today's run to my physio session are tending towards a big improvement with no stalling and a pretty smooth and judder free drive.

Unfortunately (or fortunately for my freshly seeded lawn), it is lashing it down here right now, so I will put off removing it until a dry period appears. from memory, I don't recall seeing a number on the unit last night (but then my memory and my vision are both not what they once were).