Last pitch to get it right....did they?
Lexo
Club Supervisor
Coupe: Siii / TSiii
Engine: 2.0
+_number: 111

Rear driver side rattle

Post by Lexo »

Nope, it isn't the jack..... taken that out already ;) and secured the run-off pipe next to it.
Also tried without spare wheel and without parcel shelf.

Fairly sure it is not the suspension as feels fine over speed bumps and makes no noise then.
Whenever going over something like a sharp shallow pothole though there is something behind the drives seat rattling like ****
Have ordered some silent coat MLV for sound deadening now and will be having the panels off all round shorty but thought it worth asking if there is anything that's a likely culprit so I don't have to spend ages testing what it is.

I'm certain its something around the rear speaker or boot area, not something outside the cabin/boot area.

smokebelch wrote:I'm sure some Reebok classic wearing chav will love the whole look you've got going on
naj
Learning the ropes
Coupe: Gen3
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rear driver side rattle

Post by naj »

I have a similar rattle come from the rear passenger side, only on slow speeds and while going over bumps. Turns out it was the caliper shims were missing..
Can you tell whether its an interior rattle or exterior? I also find that my rear seat belts rattle against the plastic sides lol
Lukeyfc1212
Very regular contributor
Engine: 1.6

Post by Lukeyfc1212 »

:text-yeahthat: I had a rattle at the back and it was my caliper seized, could be worth checking out incase you damage a disc etc! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
One mans trash is the next mans treasure, where one finds pain the next will find pleasure!
Lexo
Club Supervisor

Post by Lexo »

Certain it's in the cabin or at least within the plastic panels.
Will secure the seat belts into the clips for the drive home from work and see.
Defo not a seized caliper unless something went horribly wrong, brakes/hand work fine and don't even get that 'ping' like in the old Atlantic when you 1st set out in the morning. Had them all refurbed when I got the car + new shims
smokebelch wrote:I'm sure some Reebok classic wearing chav will love the whole look you've got going on
Lukeyfc1212
Very regular contributor

Post by Lukeyfc1212 »

Ah sounds positive then :) hopefully it is just some oddity rattling around the interior! You get all sorts of noise out of them!
One mans trash is the next mans treasure, where one finds pain the next will find pleasure!
Lexo
Club Supervisor

Post by Lexo »

Hope so, it starting to detract form the enjoyment it's so annoying :angry-banghead:

Still , new year soon, new non rattle car :icon-lol:
Lukeyfc1212
Very regular contributor

Post by Lukeyfc1212 »

Yeah I hate it when I notice a noise which shouldn't be there! It makes me angry! :icon-lol:
Lexo
Club Supervisor

Post by Lexo »

rikthornton wrote:Hop onto the rear bench and with the boot closed firmly, check the gas struts. Sometimes they are a bit loose.

Actually.... you may well be right :think:
They have been asking for some oil the last week as a little squeaky sometimes. will give it a check.
Seat belts being plugged in did nothing so not them.
Lukeyfc1212
Very regular contributor

Post by Lukeyfc1212 »

Greasing... Nipples... Sounds interesting :icon-lol:
Lexo
Club Supervisor

Post by Lexo »

Had a look at them yesterday. They can be twisted/rotated on the nipples but there's no other movement, nothing side to side etc.
When the boot is closed can't even see them, assume I'll have to take the trim off to have a gander when the boots closed? Do the struts just pull off?
Having the trim off on Sun/Mon to sort out the leaky washer jet seal and with luck fit sound proofing it if has arrived.
Lexo
Club Supervisor

Post by Lexo »

Thanks Rik, weather permitting will have them off on Sun/Mon and cleaned up.
Come to the conclusion if it's not these then it's something under the boot rattling so will be exhaust mounts and drop links etc next. But I hope not.
Kind of a echo type rattle, something reasonably solid hitting a panel/boot floor.
Lexo
Club Supervisor

Post by Lexo »

Not yet, weathers been poo.
Was thinking today it could be them, dunno where they are so I can check though. Know about the top nut on the fronts which is what made me think but car feels ok :confusion-shrug:

Easy to get at?
certain it's not boot struts now as they are greased and take a good tug to even twist them

edit: found it on the new tib diagrams, roughly under the rear seat belt tensioner, will go check now cause sure its been getting worse whatever it is.
Lexo
Club Supervisor

Post by Lexo »

Top nuts checked. Both sides fine, still have the original paint mark on the thread+nut lining up perfectly and no play.
IMAG0453.jpg
Wet torch holder aka the Mrs asks whats next :icon-lol:
Strangely it does not happen over speed bumps, only patchy road surfaces. Definitely sound like something solid hitting maybe plastic and echoing.

Next dry day will have the back jacked up just in case to check all bolts there, limited from what I could see through the wheels with a torch all was ok though.
Also gave the boot a very hard shake in every direction, nothing :confusion-shrug:
Last edited by Lexo on Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lukeyfc1212
Very regular contributor

Post by Lukeyfc1212 »

Could it not be your parcel shelf clips? Mine make a bit of a rattle cuz one of the clips has bent out? :confusion-shrug: just another idea on top of many! :)
Lexo
Club Supervisor

Post by Lexo »

Still have the issue with the shelf out entirely and everything else out cept' the spare wheel. May try that next although the rattle has only been there for about 2-3 weeks and the wheels been there 24/7 before it with nothing holding it down
Lukeyfc1212
Very regular contributor

Post by Lukeyfc1212 »

Seats bolted down properly?
peterg1955
Getting to know you
Engine: 1.8
Been thanked: 0

Post by peterg1955 »

I had a similar knocking/rattle on the driver's side and eventually, after folding the rear seat down to carry something long and a bit heavy, I'd realised it had stopped... Put the seat back up and sure enough it started again.

On inspection I found the seatback latch on the driver's side locked right on the edge of the square hook thingy whereas the passenger side was in the centre. I undid the two bolts holding the hook and tapped it over as far as it would go and retightened it up and no more noise.... result!
Lexo
Club Supervisor

Post by Lexo »

Seats and latch next on the list then :text-thankyouyellow:
Lexo
Club Supervisor

Post by Lexo »

Had the boot struts off last night, greased up both ends and a little on the rod. also done the seats and seat clips.
Seems to have stopped a few rattles but the main one is still there.
Have now narrowed that down to something under the boot I think. if the near side rear wheel hits a bump there's a rattle on the other side it seems. So probably the bar thing between them. Will be under it tomorrow and hopefully just needs cleaned/tightening.

mmmm, more lube :icon-lol:
Lexo
Club Supervisor

Post by Lexo »

So, had the entirety of the rear inside out today.
Seats, boot floor, side panels, trim round the boot and the hatch. Nothing obvious and nothing I could move with my hands.
Had every bolt out and re-seated while doing a little sound proofing http://www.hyundaicoupeownersclub.co.uk ... 34#p142334
Then got under the back and did the same. Nothing I can see that was or is loose now.
The noise does seem to happen less often now since doing the boot struts but is still there. Worth changing them?
Will have a drive tomorrow and report back.
Lukeyfc1212
Very regular contributor

Post by Lukeyfc1212 »

It's not the roof lining or the plastic trims around the boot?
Lexo
Club Supervisor

Post by Lexo »

Tbh I'm close to giving up on looking :angry-banghead:
The parcel shelf now is a VERY snug fit after refitting the boot internals so may even have been that. Will find out when I go for a drive. Atm feel like my backs broken so waiting till then
Lukeyfc1212
Very regular contributor

Post by Lukeyfc1212 »

Just turn up the music mate! :icon-lol:
Lexo
Club Supervisor

Post by Lexo »

Went for a drive. Rattle is still there but happens a good 90% less now. Whatever it is its just about gone with today's surgery. Acoustics in the car are Soooo much better after the little deadening too :D overall I'm happy enough now to ignore the odd rattle as its no longer constant.
Lexo
Club Supervisor

Post by Lexo »

If it has the potential to solve it I'll try it.
Will have a look when I get a free day. Was under the back recently but only checked suspension and linkages etc for play. Even the roll bar had no give in it and lots of rubber left on the mounts. Whatever it is it's literally just a noise and nothing serious as been like that for a month now and no change in how the car handles.

Certain it's not in the cabin now as everything there is nailed down after the silent coat going in. Either way it happens half as often so may have been a boot strut causing some of the noise.