DO NOT POST GENERAL FAULT QUESTIONS IN THIS SECTION IT IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY
thedupleman
Club Owner
Coupe: s-Coupe (1991-1996)
Engine: 2.0
+_number: 0002

Heavy Oil Consumption

Post by thedupleman »

Nearly every 2.0 uses quite a bit of Oil.

This is an accepted fact by dealers and not really something you can avoid as they have done it mostly since new,so you'll probably find yourself doing a regular top up check of your oil.

Unless it gets maniacally excessive there is not a lot you can do but accept its a common thing with the 2.0 Beta Engine.

Look out guys it’s him that thinks he’s in charge!
cervantes
Been here forever
Coupe: Non-Coupe
Engine: 2.0
Has thanked: 0

Re: Heavy Oil Consumption

Post by cervantes »

a bit here and there but nothing mental :handgestures-thumbupleft:
foxfeeder
Coupe: Veloster
Engine: 1.6
Has thanked: 0

Re: Heavy Oil Consumption

Post by foxfeeder »

Hi,

New here (intro elsewhere).

As stated in my intro, I've had my Gen 3 2.0 for 7 months. In that time, I've topped up my car twice, once in Aug after a 1000 mile trip to, around, and away from Cornwall via Stratford, many motorway miles, took 250ml! Since then I've added a further 200 ml or so in one go. It had been changed in March (last service) and about 6000 miles later is still recognisably oil coloured.

You want to know about oil consumption (and why I'm such an anorak about quantities)?

We've recently sold my wife's 2002 Astra convertible, 2.2 angine, and it used to use a litre of oil around every 250 miles!!!!! Now THAT's what I call oil consuption. I used to buy it in 5 litre cans as it was cheaper that way. And it wasn't just ours. The engine concerned, the Z22SE, has it's own forum, and if you have a look around there, oil consumption is a big discussion point. The engine was used in Vauxhall/Opel cars (inc. the VX220/Opel Speedster), plus Saab's, Alfa Romeo's, Some american GM cars like Chevy Cobalt, Saturn Astra, plus the US version of the Ariel Atom. A shame it's such a pile of scrap, as it was quite a nice smooth engine, except for the flat spots, timing chain issues, EGR problems and......

What am I saying? If I never stand within 10 miles of one again, it'll be too soon.

No Dougal! This one is small, but that one is far away. Small. FAR away!