Sponsored by Chris Knott insurance
thedupleman
Club Owner
Coupe: s-Coupe (1991-1996)
Engine: 2.0
+_number: 0002

German tolls to target tourists

Post by thedupleman »

Tourists in Germany may soon have to pay a car toll, under proposals announced by the country's transport minister.

Alexander Dobrindt revealed that Germany plans to adopt the same measures used in many other European countries by adding a car toll to its already existing truck fees.

From 2016, foreign drivers would be expected to pay 10 euro (£7.95) for a 10-day toll sticker, available online or at filling stations, while one-year and two-month stickers will also be on offer.

Mr Dobrindt said it was unfair that foreign drivers do not contribute to road maintenance and the move was closing the "fairness gap".

Car engine size and environmental credentials will determine the cost of annual fees, he said, with the average expected to be in the region of 88 euro (£70).

Overall, Mr Dobrindt expects the scheme could bring in 2.5 billion euro (£2.7 billion) over four years.

The move is the brainchild of the Bavaria-based conservative party, but doubts have been voiced by coalition partners within chancellor Angela Merkel's government.

However, Mr Dobrindt believes worries that the system will not be compatible with the European Union and would single out foreign drivers will not be a problem.

EU transport commissioner Siim Kallas' office said it identified "many positive elements" in the plan but "until all the details are known and discussed there can be no green or red light from Brussels".

Look out guys it’s him that thinks he’s in charge!
Lexo
Club Supervisor
Coupe: Siii / TSiii
+_number: 111

Re: German tolls to target tourists

Post by Lexo »

Lets see them get that one past the discrimination stage of planning.
Other nationalities come over here and don't have to pay to use our roads so Germans saying it's unfair we don't pay them something is bullpoop :icon-lol:
smokebelch wrote:I'm sure some Reebok classic wearing chav will love the whole look you've got going on
Fish out of water
Finding my footing
Coupe: Gen3.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Fish out of water »

So up until now they have not had to pay road tax?
Lexo
Club Supervisor
Coupe: Siii / TSiii
+_number: 111

Post by Lexo »

Straight from the DVLA

7. Temporary imports

You can usually use a vehicle displaying non-UK number plates without needing to tax or register it in the UK if all of the following apply:
you’re visiting the UK and don’t plan to live here
you only use the vehicle up to 6 months in a 12-month period (1 single visit, or several shorter visits adding up to a 6-month period)
the vehicle is registered and taxed in its home country

Or if you mean the Germans paying road tax, I think they have it added to the cost of the car when It's 1st bought. Not sure though, I know places like Japan work that way
smokebelch wrote:I'm sure some Reebok classic wearing chav will love the whole look you've got going on
foxfeeder
Coupe: Veloster
Engine: 1.6
Has thanked: 0

Post by foxfeeder »

Lexo wrote:Straight from the DVLA

7. Temporary imports

You can usually use a vehicle displaying non-UK number plates without needing to tax or register it in the UK if all of the following apply:
you’re visiting the UK and don’t plan to live here
you only use the vehicle up to 6 months in a 12-month period (1 single visit, or several shorter visits adding up to a 6-month period)
the vehicle is registered and taxed in its home country

Or if you mean the Germans paying road tax, I think they have it added to the cost of the car when It's 1st bought. Not sure though, I know places like Japan work that way
Sadly, while this is the law, it is not applied, hence the large number of foreign cars in permanent use in the UK for years on end!