Sponsored by Chris Knott insurance
thedupleman
Club Owner
Coupe: s-Coupe (1991-1996)
Engine: 2.0
+_number: 0002

Uk license now ok in Florida

Post by thedupleman »

British travellers no longer need an International Driving Permit to drive in Florida, after the US state's Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV) has repealed the law that required drivers from outside the USA to carry the document.
The law, which came into effect on January 1, came to light in February when a Briton was refused a hire car because he didn't hold an International Driving Permit (IDP).
The Department has subsequently announced that the law "wouldn't be enforced".
Rosie Sanderson, head of AA International Travel said: "It was an ill-considered piece of legislation that was primarily aimed at holders of foreign language driving licences and it caused considerable confusion within the lucrative fly-drive market in Florida.
"There was yet more confusion when the Florida authorities said that the law would not be enforced, but uncertainty led to some car hire firms demanding an IDP and others not."

Look out guys it’s him that thinks he’s in charge!
GizmoStu
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Uk license now ok in Florida

Post by GizmoStu »

I hired a car and drove for a fortnight in Florida last year! Looks like I must have been driving illegally :confusion-shrug: I wonder what would have happened if I had been involved in a RTA? The insurance co. probably would have had an ideal excuse not to provide cover! :o