Sponsored by Chris Knott insurance
thedupleman
Club Owner
Coupe: s-Coupe (1991-1996)
Engine: 2.0
+_number: 0002

Ex soldiers take up rally challenge

Post by thedupleman »

The Race2Recovery team of disabled ex-soldiers has arrived in South America to take on the world's toughest motoring challenge.

This is the second time the team - which this year includes injured servicemen and civilians - has taken on the course after becoming the first all-disabled team ever to complete the feat in 2013.

The course which stretches 5,600 miles across Argentina and Chile will see the group taking on temperatures of up to 40C while travelling across the Atacama Desert. In a bid to claim victory, the team will naturally be hoping to avoid any breakdowns in their Land Rover Defender-based Wildcat rally-raid vehicle, which stood up so well to the test last year.

Retired Captain Tony Harris, team founder and driver, said: "We're delighted to be back in South America for our second Dakar challenge.

"The memory of finishing last year's race is something we'll always treasure but we always wanted the Race2Recovery team to become a sustainable rally team so it's fantastic to be entering our second Dakar.

"We learnt a lot from last year's competition so we feel extremely well prepared for the challenges that this race will inevitably throw at us."

The team is hoping to raise money for a number of charities including Help for Heroes. The Race2Recovery initiative also works to help injured servicemen through their rehabilitation.

Look out guys it’s him that thinks he’s in charge!
cervantes
Been here forever
Coupe: Non-Coupe
Has thanked: 0

Re: Ex soldiers take up rally challenge

Post by cervantes »

2 things...

1: i enjoyed trying out the quick reply box, thank you

2: there was a show on telly a couple of weeks ago following this lot round as they did last years dakar with their bowler wildcats, quite extraordinary really, if i was wearing a cap i would doff it to them
mick doyle
Advice superstar
Coupe: Gen3
Engine: 1.6

Post by mick doyle »

they the same guys that were on Top Gear a couple of years back??

Pretty impressive stuff.
Just shows that a disability isn't the end of the world.
thedupleman wrote:Ouch. I know he has black bits
cervantes
Been here forever
Coupe: Non-Coupe
Has thanked: 0

Post by cervantes »

as far as i know mick yeah its the same guys, or it was , dont know if the team has had a shuffle round at all this year :handgestures-thumbupleft: