JayDKirk
Getting to like it here
Coupe: Gen3
Engine: 2.0

hey guys does this seem fair?

Post by JayDKirk »

This is my ad...
https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-mot ... 1140030119

Does this all seem okay? Just making sure everything seems legit and I've not screwed up with anything in the description, not getting rid of my baby unless the perfect deal comes or she hits the breakers :icon-lol:

In no rush so that's why price is very high, what is the actually price you'd say she's worth? As some guy offered me £500 last night I was laughing at him that's just a no. You cant get a perfectly running car for £500

What you guys think? Honest opinions please guys

Mr Tuscan
Facebook support
Coupe: Gen3.5

Re: hey guys does this seem fair?

Post by Mr Tuscan »

Is this the car that had big holes in the rear quarter ?
Cannot remember if it's this car or another ?
My Diary: Custom Korean Tuscani - viewtopic.php?f=72&t=27493
chrisandreas
Running around headless
Engine: 1.6

Post by chrisandreas »

Seems like a good coupe, if it was mine I would be prepared to accept £1200 for it.
Mr Tuscan
Facebook support

Post by Mr Tuscan »

Just looked up it was yours, ok so I'm only saying this because you have asked, so no one shoot me.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (42.51 KiB) Viewed 13213 times
That's bad, it needs cutting and refabricating which will cost more than the car is worth I am afraid.
I'd have taken that guys money ! How much did you pay for the car yourself?

I can only respond to this from my own perspective, so saying that, I would not buy a car with that amount of rot , that panel is knackered and needs re fabricating which would have to be a garage job as its beyond my skills and that's an expensive repair, secondly would that pass another MOT as it looks close to the jacking point, thirdly I see the other side of the car is going also.

I am sure there are many perfectly running cars for £500 quid out there but they are probably rotten as well.

You may find that down the line that £500 quid was a good offer for someone to take it off your hands in one swoop, you may end up having to part it up to make something similar.

115K with two rear quarter panels that are rotted through, you've got a tough one their and to the above poster of course as the seller you would take £1200 but no one in their right mind would pay that for it.

I've seen good rust free gen 3's sell for £7/800 quid with full MOTs and half that mileage.

Please don't take my response as a bash of your car, you asked for honesty and deep down you know why you are selling the car, with the insight you know have what you should ask yourself is this, if you had the chance to buy this car again, what would you now pay for it, time for honesty yourself and that is probably what it's worth.
chrisandreas
Running around headless
Engine: 1.6

Post by chrisandreas »

I never knew about that rot, I thought it would be an easy DIY job with the good old sander, That should pass and MOT if touched up but damn your car is a year older than mine and mine is near immaculate. I would say leave the current price and when someone comes to view it and they make you an offer, Take it and run with it! Good luck with the sale.
Leonardo
Getting noticed
Coupe: Siii / TSiii

Post by Leonardo »

I would say its gonna be difficult to get a grand for it Jay. Which is a shame.
You gotta ask who would wanna pay its top money for it, and face a huge repair bill on top of that?
You could get lucky though.
Speak to that other guy again and take 750 for it mate.
Or keep it and run it till it falls to pieces.
Burger28
Getting to like it here
+_number: 0028

Post by Burger28 »

As Leo says, should have tried to get that guy up a couple of hundred quid, however, I think if you asked him now he'd smell your desperation and likely not budge. Without the rust you might have got over a grand, if you live in an area where cars hold their value better (low amount of local supply). As others have said: There are a decent amount of less rusty gen 3s around with lower miles for less money.

I read the title of this page and thought it was a joke at first... you know, considering how many people have been bringing up 20l TSIIIs etc :P
JayDKirk
Getting to like it here

Post by JayDKirk »

No I've tried to be honest with mine and as for the rust I'm in the process of treating it, I've nocked it all out and treated it... No rust left sanded to hell, rust prevent put on it, put mesh behind it yesterday, filled it today, just needs sanding to shape then touching up, spent £20 so far, no paint yet though but hopefully will go to plan, if so I've spent lets say £40 total, should boot price abit, and I paid £1,000 3 months ago
smokebelch
Club manager

Post by smokebelch »

honest opinion?
not a snowballs chance in hell of getting anywhere near £1200 for it.
To sort those arches out properly so the metal worm doesn't make a comeback it will need the rust chopping out and new metal welding it, and you're hoping to sort it for £40? that's before you've taken the sill trims off and had a look at the sills (and given the state of those arches I'd hazard a guess the sills will be FUBAR'd too) I take it this will involve you spraying with a rattle can?........I'll ask again....£1200? :angry-nono:
My gen 3 is on a 52 plate, in faaaaaaar better nick than yours, with 64k on the clock, I wouldnt dream of putting it up for a penny over a grand and even then I would expect to be haggled down to approx £850- £900 TOPS and even then I'd consider myself lucky.
If it had been me I'd have snapped the guys hand off for £500.
And to say you cant buy a runner for £500 I'm afraid your delusions are continuing.
Ask yourself this: would YOU buy it for £1200? I think you already know the answer to this.
So, in summary, to answer your question "does this seem fair?".....the answer is No it doesnt.
Sorry, maybe not the answer you wanted, but you did ask.
There are no bad guys.........just disturbed guys.......but know this......I am a nightmare walking
[email protected]
s4mc0x
Very regular contributor
Coupe: Non-Coupe

Post by s4mc0x »

Don't forget that people don't really buy cars this time of year, so prices are lower anyway. As Smoke says, these are not really worth any money, A thirsty, impractical hyundai that costs £260 to tax... I paid pennies for my 2005 Gen3.5 about a year ago, with no rust and one or two dings, plus 5 months MOT. I test the waters with mine not so long ago for less than £1500 with new tyres, brakes, MOT & FSH ...and not a single bite.

Gumtree is a decent website, but it attracts a certain type of buyer and suggests a certain type of seller, when you do come to shift it, use Autotrader and pay for a listing - a vast majority of used cars are sold via AT... and clean your car! A dirty car doesn't help your case as a 'careful owner', and two thirds of buyers won't even click an ad if the photos aren't good. I know these are Trade stats, but I think there's a salient point there...!!

In any case, GLWS.
JayDKirk
Getting to like it here

Post by JayDKirk »

I'm after a swap more then a sale price that's why I put the price high, and I bought the car for £1,000 in the condition its in now ex the lights and Sri if I sold it id want at least £700-£750, does that sound like a fair price? And the reason I want another car as you just said economy my car is literally doing between 10-20 on the mpg? (according to dial thing) and it cost me £50 a week in fuel for work ect total of about 250 miles from mon-sun so I want a diesel for my car eg for good mpg and I want a V6 coupe as a hobby, plan was swap coupe for a cheep diesel, finance a V6 with the money the diesel car is saving me and then once 1yr finance is up (or just save up for one) start modding the V6 to use as a track car or show ect be alot of work lol anyone know what kinda cars people would offer me for this? And I wanted your opinions which I much appreciate :)
Mr Tuscan
Facebook support

Post by Mr Tuscan »

I'm with smokebelch 100% on this.

It's going to come across harsh but clearly you have little idea on this subject but that's down to age and experience, the two being related partly but still I'm miffed by the comment, it's up for swaps hence the high price, that makes no sense, so you want to swap it for a diesel worth £1200, who in their right mind would do that and would you have no guilt treating another as a sucker in case they was stupid enough not to realise how bad that rust was because you've covered (not fixed) it up ?

The work you have done on your rust is what is called a bodge repair and has added no value to it.
Secondly your lights and SRI. add no value to it.
Thirdly for £1000 with that rot, they saw you coming, did you not do any research before buying ?
And lastly does £700-£750 sound a fair price, NO

As I said first time, you should have taken that £500 and cut your losses and put it down to experience.

This is what is known as buying a lemon, I've only been this blunt as you keep asking for honest replies, your getting them but I don't think you are really listening, I understand why as most of us have been caught one way or another at some point in our life's, but given how you feel about the car do you really want to be that person, you know like the one that sold it to you ?
Last edited by Mr Tuscan on Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
peterthornton
Running around headless
Engine: 2.7(v6)

Post by peterthornton »

Sorry to say bud but u should of taken the £500 .... I got my v6 02 plate with 62k on the clock... Bit of rust in same area as yours for £780 and sold my 2L with half the mileage you got and rust free for £500... There's a lot of work to get that rust sorted and I very much doubt anyone will do a swap without you paying a lot of money towards it.... Even if the rust wasn't there ur still asking for a lot....
Mr Tuscan
Facebook support

Post by Mr Tuscan »

I know someone who paid a garage to fix what's on that car, that included cutting the rust out, fabricating the new metal and then a spray up, cost them £1200
Daz
Running around headless

Post by Daz »

IMHO I think you paid too much for the car to begin with and it's understandable you're trying to recoup some of the loss, however...

TBH I'm not sure coming on to an owners club (where by its very nature members take pride in their vehicles) and asking how much you're car is worth after happily declaring the £40 rust/repair bodge is going to get you any favourable answers...

As has been mentioned the type of 'repair' you've carried out is by all technicalities a 'bodge' basically passing on the rust issue to the potential new owner, how would you feel if you bought a car that you later then discovered most of the arches were filler, not the happiest bunny is my guess, obviously ethically its down to you and done by backstreet garages frequently, however I'm not sure that they would come on here for pricing advice :confusion-shrug:

As said above just my opinion....
These users thanked the author Daz for the post:
Mr Tuscan (Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:36 pm)
Rating: 8.33%
Mr Tuscan
Facebook support

Post by Mr Tuscan »

I was just re reading the advert, it's not up for a guide price of £1200 it's £1500.

But I don't understand this

' the car revs under 1,000 which proves it has plenty of life in it' anyone ? Because I have no idea what that means, never heard anything like that statement ever ?

Just noticed it has 3 months MOT left, Christ beginning to think I'm on Barry Boys, seriously Jay go get that guy and take that £500, it's the easiest and best advice your going to get all day long .
These users thanked the author Mr Tuscan for the post:
peterthornton (Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:04 am)
InspectorPoirot
Regular contributor

Post by InspectorPoirot »

I hate to say it, but anyone in their right mind would save an extra £200-500 and buy a 3.5, which will be newer and probably in better nick. Although you have done some work to it there is nothing to justify that price. I paid £1900 for a 55 plate 3.5 and that had very minimal rust around the arches and by stone chips, which I have treated... nowhere near as bad as yours. You could potentially try for £700, someone might be taken in by the angel eyes?
coupecrazyman
Advice star
Coupe: Gen1 (1996 -1999)

Post by coupecrazyman »

I've gotta agree. Take £500 n count yr blessings. That's not to be harsh in any way.
On the other subject which I'm miffed at is this. Got an f2e in ex cond. just sailed through test and is great. I've got a gen 3 nowhere as bad as yours and sails thru tests both receive the attention they need to stop issues. Would you believe £340 ( garage) and £275 private respectively so that blows the myth about anything less than £500 is crap. You paid £1k for a lemon unfortunately. Sorry.
Mr Tuscan
Facebook support

Post by Mr Tuscan »

off topic - Paul wheres your diary, I love the F2E, if I had spare garage I think id store one as a project, never driven one but they look fun.
coupecrazyman
Advice star

Post by coupecrazyman »

Si, I haven't got a diary but it's too late anyway, apart from a bit of touch up to bumper and a slight seat tear it's bang on..got the other f2e as donor you see, which had that ecu fault, but gave up on after doing the usual ..... It's the one gaz spotted as " wrongly listed evo ". Had been dry stored for 5 yr lol.
They are fun and turn heads, also I keep seeing them for sale.... Last week saw one, looked nice, been parked up but moved regular. No mot. Needs brakes, handbrake,, looked genuine and only 10ml away, sooo tempted but no more room plus last I saw it was at £51 !!!
coupecrazyman
Advice star

Post by coupecrazyman »

Si, all I can add is when driving the 3 it's like being safe in a cosy big space, in the evo you get in, buckle up in this smaller space and you are part of the car with all you do having an effect, unlike feeling maybe you are captain of a boat in the 3. No offence to fellow 3 owners but it's a fact
These users thanked the author coupecrazyman for the post:
Mr Tuscan (Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:08 pm)
JayDKirk
Getting to like it here

Post by JayDKirk »

£500 it is then I guess, not going to argue I asked and you answered :) and under 1k is what the garage guy told me? Should I just run the car into the ground? Or sell it in parts? Cause I wont part for £500 (not enough to get a new car around here unless it had no mot, to much of a gamble)
s4mc0x
Very regular contributor
Coupe: Non-Coupe

Post by s4mc0x »

Best bet, to be honest - enjoy it whilst you have it, when she dies, you'll have saved a few quid for another motor!
These users thanked the author s4mc0x for the post:
JayDKirk (Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:55 pm)
JayDKirk
Getting to like it here

Post by JayDKirk »

s4mc0x wrote:Best bet, to be honest - enjoy it whilst you have it, when she dies, you'll have saved a few quid for another motor!
Thanks :) when she dies surly I could sell the parts off also to make extra money? I mean you guys allways will need something surly? And as itd be no money off my back cause id have another car by then so parts could go dirt cheap :)
Leonardo
Getting noticed
Coupe: Siii / TSiii

Post by Leonardo »

Keep her till she bleeds!! Oil that is. She'll be fine for goid while though Jay.