Good Evening!

IMPORTANT! YOU MUST SAY HELLO HERE OR THE TOTAL SITE REMAINS HIDDEN!
Forum rules
YOU NEED TO SAY HELLO HERE TO SEE ALL OF THE SITE.
PLEASE DONT ASK QUESTIONS HERE
THIS SECTION IS ONLY TO SAY HELLO. PLEASE REMEMBER YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO SELL PARTS OR CARS UNTIL YOU HAVE 25 POSTS. THIS IS TO PROTECT HCOC MEMBERS.
IF YOU DO NOT SAY HELLO IMMEDIATELY YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED
hogesar
Getting to know you
Coupe: Gen3.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Good Evening!

Post by hogesar »

Hello!

Right, where to start. First of all, i don't have a coupe. Yet.

I'm 20. I work in IT. From Norfolk. That's about as exciting as it's gonna get.

Been driving for 2.5 years. Had 8 cars already, my bad. Ranging from MG ZR 2.0TD to an Astra Coupe 1.8 Bertone to my last car, Golf GT TDI 130bhp.

Sold the golf this week and am looking at coupe's over the weekend. After a 3.5 Gen preferably, looking for an 05 plate with no more than 75k-ish miles for under 3k (im being tight, i know). I was surprised to see that's possible! I'm also going to look at Gen 3 as i might find much better condition for less money.

When i started driving I was tempted by the Gen 2 Coupe...I've spent the past month looking at the Gen 3 / 3.5 and I think they look fantastic for the money, generally speaking. I'm not a badge snob although when i first started looking at potential buys i have to say i put the Celica ahead purely because it was Toyota. However, having had a proper look at the Coupe inside and out i really don't think it's that badly made, especially for the money.

I'm guessing i'm going to have to expect it to be considerably slower than my Golf / Astra? I'm after the 2.0SE but not shy of making some performance related modifications. Tempted by the V6 but i've heard a few bad things about them although they appear to be rather torquey.

anyway in short, Hello!

thedupleman
Club Owner
Coupe: s-Coupe (1991-1996)
Engine: 2.0
+_number: 0002

Re: Good Evening!

Post by thedupleman »

Hello mate welcome aboard
Look out guys it’s him that thinks he’s in charge!
mick doyle
Advice superstar
Coupe: Gen3
Engine: 1.6

Post by mick doyle »

:text-welcomewave: to HCOC.
Best of luck on the car hunt. You certainly seem to have done your homework and have a good idea of what you want, so you've got a pretty good start :handgestures-thumbupleft:
thedupleman wrote:Ouch. I know he has black bits
smokebelch
Club manager

Post by smokebelch »

welcome to the club fella :greetings-waveyellow:
There are no bad guys.........just disturbed guys.......but know this......I am a nightmare walking
[email protected]
Mike.Lawre
Club manager
Coupe: Siii / TSiii
+_number: 0003

Post by Mike.Lawre »

:text-welcomewave: :character-oldtimer:
Founder member of "The Grumpy Old Men's Section"

Find me at The Rose Theatre http://rosetheatre.co.uk
fiddly bad
Getting to like it here

Post by fiddly bad »

:text-yeahthat: :text-welcomewave: :text-imwithstupid:
alex scott

Post by alex scott »

:text-welcomewave: to the club
jamespheely

Post by jamespheely »

are you dead set on getting a Hyundai Coupe? Have you considered a Toyota Celica T-Sport? I seriously regret buying a Hyundai Coupe over a T-Sport...the t-sport is quicker, handles better, more economical, cheaper tax, the interior is a lot better and they are much better built!
jamespheely

Post by jamespheely »

just to point out I think I have a fairly decent example... I have had to do the clutch and an anti roll bar but other than that it is spot on under 50k miles with full service history and never really had an major issues. That said all around they are fairly poor cars, I have always wondered why you get so much car for your money and then I bought one and the truth is you just don't. If you get the 2.0SE you will get very similar performance to your GOLF just using twice as much fuel... have you test drove one yet? If you can test drive a Coupe and then a Celica... :handgestures-thumbupleft:

they also have one of the most helpful forums I have come across check it out... http://www.celica-club.co.uk/forum/ :icon-biggrin:
hogesar
Getting to know you

Post by hogesar »

Thanks Everyone!

Well two of the 05/06 plate coupe's i've been looking at and was going to see tomorrow have...sold. I was under the impression these took a while to sell, maybe just my luck.

I'm also not refusing the possibility of an 03/04 Coupe if it's the right one. I've pulled together 9 possibilities for tomorrow although which one's i see will be dependant upon phone calls in the morning and working out locations. I.E im hoping i can find 3 or 4 which are relatively close or at least on the way to another destination.

This is one although i need to ring and get alot more info out from dealer:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

Another is:

I'm slightly put off by mileage with these, was hoping for sub 70k. Then i kind of think to myself does 15k miles make that much difference, surely i'd be better judging by condition?

Theres several 02/03/04 cars with 60ish K miles which might be several options...

James, I've looked into the Celica, in fact it was probably what i looked at before the Coupe. I looked at the 190 and 140 actually. Quite liked the 190, thought the 140 was ridiculous, 6krpm till you get any power delivery? odd. I just couldn't shake the mentality of feeling like a 43 year old blonde bird sitting in the Celica drivers seat. That's not to say people don't think the same about the Coupe, but each to their own i guess.

Ta for advice so far either way guys.
jamespheely

Post by jamespheely »

hogesar wrote:Thanks Everyone!

Well two of the 05/06 plate coupe's i've been looking at and was going to see tomorrow have...sold. I was under the impression these took a while to sell, maybe just my luck.

I'm also not refusing the possibility of an 03/04 Coupe if it's the right one. I've pulled together 9 possibilities for tomorrow although which one's i see will be dependant upon phone calls in the morning and working out locations. I.E im hoping i can find 3 or 4 which are relatively close or at least on the way to another destination.

This is one although i need to ring and get alot more info out from dealer:

Another is:

I'm slightly put off by mileage with these, was hoping for sub 70k. Then i kind of think to myself does 15k miles make that much difference, surely i'd be better judging by condition?

Theres several 02/03/04 cars with 60ish K miles which might be several options...

James, I've looked into the Celica, in fact it was probably what i looked at before the Coupe. I looked at the 190 and 140 actually. Quite liked the 190, thought the 140 was ridiculous, 6krpm till you get any power delivery? odd. I just couldn't shake the mentality of feeling like a 43 year old blonde bird sitting in the Celica drivers seat. That's not to say people don't think the same about the Coupe, but each to their own i guess.

Ta for advice so far either way guys.
the 2005 you posted with the updated lights looks a hell of a lot better! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

it was the 190 thats gets its main power delivery at 6k but revs upto 9k (similar to the vtec in Hondas)... over a second quicker to 60 than a 2.7v6 coupe though from a 1.8!! :icon-lol: also the 140 would be quicker than a 2.0SE... I think we can all agree they are both seen as 'Hairdresser Cars' :laughing-rollingyellow:
Thanasie
Getting noticed
Engine: 2.7(v6)

Post by Thanasie »

:text-welcomewave:

The Hyundai Coupe is a great car, personally I own a Gen 3.5 V6 and would have it over a Celica any day!

The Coupe is a great looking car, decent performance and great on long journey's good luck with your hunt!
Hyundai Coupe's I've owned -

2005 1.6 Gen 3.5 - Sold
2006 2.7 V6 Gen 3.5 - Very sadly sold
2007 2.0 SIII - Sold
2003 2.7 V6 Gen 3 -Broke for spares
1999 2.0 F2 Evo - Still got
2004 2.7 V6 - Sold
2004 2.0 Gen 3 - Sold
2007 2.7 V6 Auto SIII - Still got
jamespheely

Post by jamespheely »

Thanasie wrote::text-welcomewave:

The Hyundai Coupe is a great car, personally I own a Gen 3.5 V6 and would have it over a Celica any day!

The Coupe is a great looking car, decent performance and great on long journey's good luck with your hunt!
obviously everyone has different tastes in cars and most people go for the looks over performance which I have been guilty of myself but there's no question the celica is an all round much better car! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Carlsberg
Tuscani owners club
Coupe: Non-Coupe
+_number: 1985

Post by Carlsberg »

:text-welcomewave: to the HCOC mate
Thanasie
Getting noticed

Post by Thanasie »

jamespheely wrote:
Thanasie wrote::text-welcomewave:

obviously everyone has different tastes in cars and most people go for the looks over performance which I have been guilty of myself but there's no question the celica is an all round much better car! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
That is down to personal opinion. Now, please stop cluttering up this welcome post on how "good" the Celica is.

2005 1.6 Gen 3.5 - Sold
2007 2.0 SIII - Sold
2004 2.7 V6 - Sold
2004 2.0 Gen 3 - Sold
hogesar
Getting to know you

Post by hogesar »

Well, i did purchase one yesterday, long trip up to Birmingham. It's a Gen3 but it's had quite alot done to it and it looks nice. I'll get some pictures up as soon as i've had it washed etc..Drove it back and it didnt miss a beat.

It's obviously not got the pure torque of my Golf GTTDI but i don't have to slow down for corners near as much! I find it to be fast enough, the coupe, it's had an aftermarket twin exhaust backbox fitted etc nice and quiet though. Seems alot more responsive than a couple of the others i drove. It's done 70k miles but just recently had cambelt and clutch replaced in last year with receipts to prove. Serviced 4,000 miles ago again with proof.

So far im happy with it. The interior is a bit rattly which i expected - it's a much nicer car to be inside than my Golf though!

P.S HOW THE F$£$ DO YOU PARK THESE THINGS. I can't do it, yet.. :)
Mr Tuscan
Facebook support

Post by Mr Tuscan »

:confusion-shrug: :confusion-shrug:

I thought this was a coupe enthusiast site, doh silly me !!!

!
My Diary: Custom Korean Tuscani - viewtopic.php?f=72&t=27493
Mr Tuscan
Facebook support

Post by Mr Tuscan »

Oh you cant park a coupe you just kind of stop lol.

Enjoy your coupe they are unique and NOT to be compared with other cars if you do then your missing the coupe buzz altogether, sure there are other options buy I bought a coupe as it was the car I wanted and I had the money to buy many options when I got mine.

The coupe stand alone, you get nothing but comments on how they look day after day after day, four times this week I have been asked how can i afford such a good looking car, they are fun and quirky and enjoyable to mod if that is your thing.

You have you're coupe now enjoy everything that comes with it :D
My Diary: Custom Korean Tuscani - viewtopic.php?f=72&t=27493
Thanasie
Getting noticed

Post by Thanasie »

Mr Tuscan wrote::confusion-shrug: :confusion-shrug:

I thought this was a coupe enthusiast site, doh silly me !!!

!
Tell me about it! I was getting a little peeved with the celica comments!

Glad to hear you managed to get one! Not sure if i've missed it, which one did you get? 2.0 or 2.7??

As with most Coupe owners you will get a lot of admiration! If that is the right word. I get asked all the time how I can afford it, some even thought I was a high flyer earning over £50,000 a year...I wish! Im just a 20 year old IT techy lol :P

Enjoy your coupe mate! and I hope to see you at some meets! Quite a lot of us are going to Modified Nationals down in Peterborough, have a look here: http://www.hyundaicoupeownersclub.co.uk ... 264&t=9100

2005 1.6 Gen 3.5 - Sold
2007 2.0 SIII - Sold
2004 2.7 V6 - Sold
2004 2.0 Gen 3 - Sold
hogesar
Getting to know you

Post by hogesar »

Well, as promised!

hogesar
Getting to know you

Post by hogesar »

Thanks. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

There's a tiny bit of damage to the right rear wheel arch, well just above it, slight scrape of a couple inches which i have to get sorted but other than that fairly mint.

Obviously had to do alot of travelling, Norwich to Walsall and back, but i always find it's worth traveling for the right car - although you do take the risk of traveling and it's nothing like it's described!

It's got a few nice additions inside, blue LED's in the footwells and in-car single din DVD player etc which all helped persuade me in the long run! Amazingly after everything i've heard everything electrical works!
dantanner
Regular contributor
Coupe: Non-Coupe

Post by dantanner »

:text-welcomewave: to the club :icon-biggrin:
Suffers from CDO! It's the same as OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be.

My old V6 build thread

For event, wedding and family portrait photography - SLT Photography
scarfacechen
Learning the ropes

Post by scarfacechen »

wow.. got the tuscani badge, de-amber and chrome petrol thingy lol.. velly velly nicey indeedy :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-welcomewave: yo