How to get the most from your posts/questions

IMPORTANT! YOU MUST SAY HELLO HERE OR THE TOTAL SITE REMAINS HIDDEN!
Forum rules
YOU NEED TO SAY HELLO HERE TO SEE ALL OF THE SITE.
PLEASE DONT ASK QUESTIONS HERE
THIS SECTION IS ONLY TO SAY HELLO. PLEASE REMEMBER YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO SELL PARTS OR CARS UNTIL YOU HAVE 25 POSTS. THIS IS TO PROTECT HCOC MEMBERS.
IF YOU DO NOT SAY HELLO IMMEDIATELY YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED
thedupleman
Club Owner
Coupe: s-Coupe (1991-1996)
Engine: 2.0
+_number: 0002

How to get the most from your posts/questions

Post by thedupleman »

When you post a new topic in the forum,the title can make or break how many answers you get.
So seeing as lately we have had several poor titles iv had to change,Here's a few tips.

HAVE I SEARCHED?

good question....have you? Many people dont seem to bother looking at the search function when its there for a very good reason.
Lets take central locking.The search box is in the top right hand corner.
Put in central locking and you'll find 20 pages of answers.....ooooh thats a lot.But underneath the title where it says FOUND 3 TRILLION RESULTS
now engage brain.Whats it doing? its faulty? ok enter CENTRAL LOCKING FAULT.
you'll find a lot less pages covering that narrowing down the search.Thats the most basic form and may even save you the hassle of posting.

Where do I put it-which section?

Well certainly NOT in Newbies or even in step by step guides.This is the most annoying bit for mods please don't just dump questions in Step by step.Interior exterior and audio and electrical all have sections.check it's going in the right bit check it doesn't say Step by step in front! Step by step are for self done guides not questions

TITLES

Ok what to put for a title.....well for a start avoid one and two words.Be descriptive.Central locking fault will usually get answers.....electrical fault puts people off answering because many people dont know electrics from adam......"fault" is useless as a title like recently we had "tires".wow.No good. How about what brand of tire? But then it turns out to be something different.Brake fault? no.Try brakes juddering and locking.For anything complex you need a title that describes problem all in one.....fault with electric window? no -try electric window wont open.....Dont try and be posh say whats wrong dont leave a huge field to cover.

ACTUAL POST

Do you just put "my central locking doesnt work.....what could it be?" of course not that tells me nothing.

Try "my central locking has suddenly stopped working.Iv noticed in the last few months the locks occasionally flick open and shut,and it has on occasion made strange noises.One day i couldnt even open the door at all....what could the problem be?"
That helps a huge amount.
Also if you dont know what the hell your onabout,please include a pic! its not hard to do get a free photobucket account,upload to there then just copy the img code straight onto the forum and the pic will show.
for example title strange noises from unknown item under bonnet will encourage all the clever folk such as joff who like a pic challenge to have a look and see what it is......as soon as someone like hyunky says "oh thats your power steering pump".
you can then alter or ask to have altered the title to "strange noise from power steering pump".That gets far more views.if its a noise i know it sounds daft but video it and upload to you tube.The key is the more info you give the better.

FOLLOW UP

Follow up is what 99pc of people on this forum forget
ITS VERY IMPORTANT
you come on get answers then bog off :(
NOT GOOD-we need to know.Were we right? How about a post "thanks to everyone who helped iv now got it fixed....it was the central locking actuator.........or..........Just a follow up,as it turned out it wasnt the actuator it was the rod that had failed but thanks to everyones input i was able to trace it.
It encourages the brightest forum members to help you again if you need it,gives us some clues for future using the symptoms and generally looks good all round.

OPINIONS

If you have already had a part checked and its not that(you think) there is no need to bite a members head off.
For example "i have an actuator fault" i say "change it" you say "i already have" doesnt mean the actuator isnt still faulty.Also dont bite on peoples opinions.remember we all have off days and if you start going on about other members opinion you wont encourage others to help you.Nobody is a mechanic and all help is based on the opinion we have.Just remember that.

SPELLING

You cant spell? dont worry!! As long as you dont text speak try and make the spelling as good as you can,and some helpful moderator will change it if its too bad.Dont be afraid of chipping in with poor spelling-hell if your that scared send me a pm and I will edit it for you....mods are here to help you.

DONT UNDERSTAND AND ASK!!

Dont know what the hell someone's talking about? if your a newbie and you dont know any of the terms used ask!! we were all newbies once!!

AND MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL

Your contribution can help.remember next time someone mentions the same thing....i had that fault and i was stuck!
You can help same them a fortune and its good to help someone.Dont be afraid to chip in dont just sit on the sidelines dont be afraid to voice an opinion on something that will help others.All suggestions can help!

Look out guys it’s him that thinks he’s in charge!
greylord
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How to get the most from your posts/questions

Post by greylord »

Hi members have been most helpfull since I joined your words are so true hope to meet some of you at a meeting soon
thedupleman
Club Owner

Post by thedupleman »

Oh I'm about...
sp4rks
Very regular contributor
Coupe: Non-Coupe
+_number: 2000

Post by sp4rks »

Something to add, Dupe's points are all extremely valid but some people don't CORRECTLY fill in two important areas when they join which can help us out in fault finding massively.

Those are in your profile and are:-

another useful one for members (coming soon) is License plates - this is for members only so not just anyone can see it. This can be useful for members like Pebley Beach AKA John at Pebley Hyundai in swindon as he can use your reg to check against parts etc... It also (once up and running) will let members check if you are a member when out and about, useful when you're out for a drive, spot a coupe and think, i wonder if they fancy a coupe related chat.

Like i said, although not part of the actual post you are requesting help for they can help an awful lot.

For example a post called Alarm Fault can have oodles of information in it, but if you don't put (for Instance) Gen 3 in your generation then which model do we aim our replies at, this lack of information puts a lot of highly regarded members off replying.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
Pics of my car
My Diary
Past Meet Pics
elli54

Post by elli54 »

i,ve lost my post..can,t find it anywhere so i can,t follow up or thank anyone for help :confusion-shrug:
elli54

Post by elli54 »

rik wrote::confusion-shrug:

Do you see it anywhere in this list... http://www.hyundaicoupeownersclub.co.uk ... 4&sr=posts

nope :icon_sad: my original post was under the title "help" and was in reference to my master cylinder problem...no worries if its gone its gone.i would,ve just liked to follow up the replies and make some thankyous x
thedupleman
Club Owner

Post by thedupleman »

You might struggle....you posted that on UKHCC!
TW02
Regular contributor
Coupe: Gen3.5

Post by TW02 »

thedupleman wrote:You might struggle....you posted that on UKHCC!
:doh:
HCOC's Twitter Page
www.twitter.com/hcocofficial
Follow us!
elli54

Post by elli54 »

OMG !!! i did did,nt i ...just before you suggested me join this site... :angry-banghead: :doh: ...SO SORRY IF I CAUSED A KERFUFFLE :laughing-rollingyellow:
bex
Airbrush Queen and Advice Star
Coupe: Gen3

Post by bex »

Don't worry looks like your gonna fit right in here!! Lol!!

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk
thedupleman
Club Owner

Post by thedupleman »

elli54 wrote:

OMG !!! i did did,nt i ...just before you suggested me join this site... :angry-banghead: :doh: ...SO SORRY IF I CAUSED A KERFUFFLE :laughing-rollingyellow:
Your gonna burn....lol
elli54

Post by elli54 »

i,m getting old and looks like i,m getting a little senile too...even my kids think i,m senile.. they don,t understand why i love my old coupe so much,they,re still pushing for me to get rid of it and get a new SMART CAR !! or a shittyciento...i would rather eat cow poo first ....
elli54

Post by elli54 »

thedupleman wrote:
elli54 wrote:

Your gonna burn....lol

i,ve made a donation towards running costs of this site as a sorry gift..please don,t burn me ;) :bow-yellow: :laughing-lettersrofl: