The pitfalls of selling modified cars.....

Discuss car sales and selling
Forum rules
YOU CANNOT SELL A CAR WITH LESS THAN 25 POSTS - NO EXCEPTIONS
thedupleman
Club Owner
Coupe: s-Coupe (1991-1996)
Engine: 2.0
+_number: 0002

The pitfalls of selling modified cars.....

Post by thedupleman »

The truth....

It's your baby...you build it....you loved it.....does that mean others want it....?

Well...no actually.

So why do people believe modified cars are worth more?

Well it's down to the effort and money they spend but at the end of the day the reality is...you won't get it back.

Case 1....

Liam cyster

Perhaps the most well known car in the coupe world? Liam is a really nice lad....iv met him several times....but....when he tried to sell his car it flopped so badly.Twenty grand up spent on this car.....
He started at 12 grand...3 years later he is own to four and still trying to sell an impractical old gen3 two seater......

Case 2.......

F2 cou

Supercharged coupe must have spent 10 grand.perhaps only one professionally build over 200 brake available.....originally asking about 6 grand...now down to 2 grand
Liam
Liam
image.jpg (19.21 KiB) Viewed 12660 times

Total headcase has already dropped the price on his very nice Siii.....so why do people keep up trying to sell for crazy prices when practical ones like headcases won't sell.....opinions.....
Attachments
F2 cou supercharged
F2 cou supercharged

Look out guys it’s him that thinks he’s in charge!
Skortchio
Getting hooked
Coupe: Gen3
Engine: 2.7(v6)

Re: The pitfalls of selling modified cars.....

Post by Skortchio »

This is a very common occurrence in the mini and motorbike world (I know I relate to it a lot, but it's where I have experience!), people will spend literally years and years building their perfect car, but for many the passion is in the building so when they come to sell they expect a monetary return on the time and effort put in.
For the most part, period modifications and minor tuning is expected on 30+ year old cars but once you go a bit wild you drastically reduce your potential market.

As you said quite rightly, "It's your baby...you build it....you loved it.....does that mean others want it....? Well...no actually."
It may be your perfect car but it's pretty unlikely that it's most peoples. Coupes are probably a little bit of a smaller marque but suffer the same problems.
While I might have a hankering for a massive carbon fibre whale tail spoiler, it's highly unlikely anyone else would see it as desirable.

The more extreme the smaller the group of potential buyers become, add into that the stigma that a modified car (especially repainted) means a damaged / thrashed / recklessly driven car and your market shrinks again.
A few of the guys I know have put north of £20k into their mini's, we're talking Lotus engines, R1 bike engines, space frames, serious engineering. Resale value? About £5k maybe nearer £10k for something with every bell and whistle.

Modifying cars is a labour of love, we do it because we see more than the sum of the parts and a potential for wonder in a mundane contraption. But to find someone else who appreciates it to the same level and understands the worth of the work put in is very rare.
Many might like it and desire it but few would see it in the same terms of investment.

When I sold my bike I could have got nearly the same price for a stock model as mine, sure I could of removed all the mods but I didn't want to. It was 'complete' ... That and I really couldn't be bothered after stripping the stabilisers and electronic shifter off.
Read all about it: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=14125

Más rud é nach féidir leat a rith leis na madraí mór, nach piss suas na crainn arda.
cervantes
Been here forever
Coupe: Non-Coupe
Has thanked: 0

Post by cervantes »

:text-yeahthat: I think that pretty much covers it to be honest, i guess also to take into account are people always want a bargain, the gen 3 coupe is getting old now and values of even the standard models are way down, modded or not, who is going to pay 5 grand or what have you for a car they can buy that isnt modded for a third of the price, what do you really want, someone elses idea of what makes a good car or a couple of grand in your pocket :confusion-shrug:
VoodooRoller
Getting noticed
Coupe: Siii / TSiii
Been thanked: 0

Post by VoodooRoller »

Maybe it's because they're yellow? :D
robbo wrote:those are some hefty nipples you have there
i know josh likes a tease so here's mine
Enter August 2014's POTM here: http://www.hyundaicoupeownersclub.co.uk ... 57&t=18580
total_headcase
Running around headless

Post by total_headcase »

All of the above is completely correct.

I had my car for sale, a fully modified Siii, at a car show. Despite pretty much everybody having a good old nosey at it (And I mean everybody - It got more looks than a Sierra RS Cossie that was parked next to it!), I didn't get a single enquiry, even at the reasonable sum of £3750.

I've since taken most of the things off (So it's now a 'normal' Coupe with a few minor additions), and the amount of serious interest I've had since re-advertising it for sale has gone up dramatically. I mean, a straight, honest Siii for £3250? Almost unheard of!

I never expected to get my money back. But by selling the mods off and making a little back on them, I've been able to drop the price of the car and make it more desirable to potential purchasers at the same time!

(Sales pitch over) :icon-biggrin:
Long departed the Hyundai scene :doh:

Current cars:
55 Chrysler 300c 5.7 HEMI V8
57 Fiat Panda 100hp - 150bhp of Turbo'd fun
07 Fiat Panda 1.3 JTD - Workhorse
04 Fiat Punto Active Sport - The latest project
aaronyuri
Advice star
Coupe: Gen1 (1996 -1999)

Post by aaronyuri »

When you modify a car to your taste, it becomes a car targeted at you.

I find that the only cars that are more valuable modified are those that are more desirable when modified: Skylines, Supras, RX-7s, Glanzas... The sort of cars people buy to actually modify.

I'm afraid that the Coupe does not fall into that categorical type of ownership.
cervantes
Been here forever

Post by cervantes »

woah woah woah woah, woah, woah... woah, stop it, a modified skyline is a sin and should be punishable in some fashion, the only, only, alteration to any skyline should be to have it repainted in bayside blue, and only if someone was foolish enough to have one in any other colour :icon-lol:
Mr Tuscan
Facebook support
Coupe: Gen3.5

Post by Mr Tuscan »

It has to be said that some folks idea of mods are appaling in others eyes, bits stuck on here and there. The coupe is a good looking car already without turning it into what you think looks good. A perfect example is me looking on a forum and seeing many wildish mods being done and NOT making a comment as I often think....'oh dear' now I am sure this goes for many others also. I have to agree with the above comments it decreases the market and usually the value as you never know how good its really been done either.
Yellow dam voodoo has a point haha but seriously how many members over the age of boyracer would like to buy Liams car....I mean I would feel a berk pulling up outside my house in that. My dad would piss his ants and rib me rotten.

Ive not gone anywhere near some cars but have still spent 5k on mine I'll never get any of it back but my car is for me alone and I'll keep it for as long as I can. Its my labour of love alone.
My Diary: Custom Korean Tuscani - viewtopic.php?f=72&t=27493
Skortchio
Getting hooked
Engine: 2.7(v6)

Post by Skortchio »

Mr Tuscan wrote: seriously how many members over the age of boyracer would like to buy Liams car...
:whistle: :oops:
Read all about it: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=14125

Más rud é nach féidir leat a rith leis na madraí mór, nach piss suas na crainn arda.
thedupleman
Club Owner

Post by thedupleman »

My dad would piss his ants
Must be a wierd down south thing
thedupleman
Club Owner

Post by thedupleman »

skortchio wrote:
Mr Tuscan wrote: seriously how many members over the age of boyracer would like to buy Liams car...
I would....I love modified cars and so does pat....Iv always admired how much effort they put into Saxos etc.....wasted money....but...
Mr Tuscan
Facebook support

Post by Mr Tuscan »

thedupleman wrote:
skortchio wrote:
I would....I love modified cars and so does pat....Iv always admired how much effort they put into Saxos etc.....wasted money....but...

Proves how diverse the market is when it comes to these things, one mans rubbish etc etc
Mr Tuscan
Facebook support

Post by Mr Tuscan »

haha
auto_mattick
Settling down

Post by auto_mattick »

Haha,

This will be the reason why I think I'll be stripping mine out (maybe before Christmas if I can find a nice vxr8 :icon-lol: ) and all the parts like the turbo, injectors, emerald etc will be going on eBay as their worth more to me that way.

But before that ever happens I will be giving Sharky a ring to have a chat first if it comes to moving on, i havent spoken to him about this before but I hope he's consider it. I'd like Ross to take the car with everything in my shed including the spare engine, bbtb, performance manifold and rear bumper etc... :laughing-rollingyellow: . I'll be using a trailer to get the stuff up but I know it'll be used then since he see's the largest coupe audience.

But you never know I got what I asked for my last coupe without even putting a for sale sign on it and that was modified.

It's all down to luck and if the person really likes it.

Hmm I wonder how much trade in could be as my parents got offered a good amount off their new car for something that wasn't worth what they were given.

Chris
Why?... Because V8!
Lukeyfc1212
Very regular contributor
Engine: 1.6

Post by Lukeyfc1212 »

I would buy a car with engine mods and tuning etc... But visually unless it's just a set of alloys if probably steers clear IMO in that sense everyone has a different taste :)
One mans trash is the next mans treasure, where one finds pain the next will find pleasure!
aaronyuri
Advice star
Coupe: Gen1 (1996 -1999)

Post by aaronyuri »

cervantes wrote:woah woah woah woah, woah, woah... woah, stop it, a modified skyline is a sin and should be punishable in some fashion, the only, only, alteration to any skyline should be to have it repainted in bayside blue, and only if someone was foolish enough to have one in any other colour :icon-lol:
Not a Skyine with silly bonnet vents and ridiculous bumpers. I mean a Skyline with some good engine performance mods, decent suspension setup. Not fixing bits of plastic to the chassis, that's not modification. :icon-lol: If you try buying a high performance 90s JDm car, it will usually cost more money when modified than stock. Unless it is some sort of limited edition, at least.
thedupleman
Club Owner

Post by thedupleman »

Here is another with a high price that looks good....but will it sell

http://hyundaicoupeclub.co.uk/sales-wan ... 41369.html
mrkieran23
Advice superstar
Coupe: Gen2 (1999-2001)

Post by mrkieran23 »

My 2p worth.

When i'm looking to buy a car, I would stay away modified cars as i always assumed boy racer and the car may have been ragged.

Yes i know i have modified my car and no i'm not a boy racer racing around the streets but i cannot say everybody is like me so for that reason ill only buy standard.
My Coupe goes PSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH and finally has
288.4 hp 310 ft-lb torque

HCOC Social Network Support Team
Follow HCOCofficial on Twitter
Like HCOC-Hyundai-coupe-owners-club on Facebook
Follow HyundaiCoupeOwnersClub on Instagram
Lukeyfc1212
Very regular contributor
Engine: 1.6

Post by Lukeyfc1212 »

:text-yeahthat: all day long!
One mans trash is the next mans treasure, where one finds pain the next will find pleasure!
androo 007

Post by androo 007 »

Wait, F2cou is down to 2k?

Meeeeeeee
thedupleman
Club Owner

Post by thedupleman »

It was on ebay last week for 2
Lexo
Club Supervisor
+_number: 111

Post by Lexo »

At £4.5k I highly doubt it will shift. Got my Siii for that 2 months ago and paid the same for my old Gen 3.5 2 YEARS ago :icon-lol:

Do like the look of it though :clap:

As for the general theme of the thread, I just buy cars based on the look and comfort. Speed is nice but is 3-4th on the list for me. Modded, I'd say sure why not if it's been looked after and they have the paperwork to show it. Personal taste has a lot to do with it though and some of the things I'd like to do myself, it would feel a bit like cheating
smokebelch wrote:I'm sure some Reebok classic wearing chav will love the whole look you've got going on
androo 007

Post by androo 007 »

thedupleman wrote:It was on ebay last week for 2
did it sell? tell me when it comes up again will ya pal