TSIII Front Subframe

Those bits as owners we just know will occur!
Forum rules
DO NOT POST QUESTIONS HERE ABOUT FAULTS PLEASE USE THE GENERAL QUESTION AREAS
ShadowArcher
Getting to know you
Coupe: Siii / TSiii
Engine: 2.0
Been thanked: 0

TSIII Front Subframe

Post by ShadowArcher »

Hi. Sorry if this is the wrong place.

I have heard that corroded subframes are quite common, and sure enough when I took my 2009 2.0 TSIII in to the mechanic for an MOT check, it checks out fine except for needing a small weld on the front subframe. The problem he didn't mention is that no one wants to weld it because it won't go through the MOT with a welded subframe.

The only solution therefore seems to be to replace the subframe. I'm not sure, though, how to go about working out what the part number is so that I can actually find one. The local Hyundai dealer quoted me around £700 for one, which seems either horrifying or massively inflated. Can someone please help a not very bright new owner work out how to find that part number? :text-thankyouyellow:

Rod Panhard
Regular contributor

Re: TSIII Front Subframe

Post by Rod Panhard »

When I was looking for a used fuel filler neck I found this Ebay seller in Wales breaking a TSIII and their filler neck was much better looking than all the other used ones on Ebay and I noticed they were selling a front subframe also that looked in good condition compared to all the others out there. They are not offering postage it's collection only so not sure how far away you are but if you ask nicely they may agree to post it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175246324648 ... SwL39iXEXF

My one has bad surface rust but it appears to be just that - only surface rust so i have just treated it and the entire underside of the car to some Lanoguard rustproofing, took me about half an hour to do it and that was just on trolley jacks on the street. Just look for Youtube videos on Lanoguard if you are interested. The coupe is a really nice car but they are made of monkey metal so you have to take measures yourself to make it last.
These users thanked the author Rod Panhard for the post:
ShadowArcher (Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:03 pm)
Rating: 8.33%
Rod Panhard
Regular contributor

Post by Rod Panhard »

I should add that also apparantly if the subframe bushes ever go these are not available as a replacement part it's a new subframe job as well so if you do end up getting a replacement subframe it might be an idea to press out (assuming you can press them out I don't know) and keep the old bushes just in case you need them further down the line.
ShadowArcher
Getting to know you

Post by ShadowArcher »

I'm a country away, lol. But I will have a look; maybe they can be persuaded to ship it. Thank you.

Apparently it only needs a small weld, but everyone's telling me it simply won't be allowed through the MOT with any weld. One mechanic suggested that I get it welded, ground down, painted, and then Waxoyled to hide it, but the place that would weld and Waxoyl refuse to weld a subframe.
ShadowArcher
Getting to know you

Post by ShadowArcher »

That subframe is from an SIII - that's essentially the same as a TSIII, right? Can you tell I'm clueless about my own car?
foxfeeder
Coupe: Veloster
Engine: 1.6
Has thanked: 0

Post by foxfeeder »

You could use a subframe from a Gen 3 or 3.5 too, all the same except for bumpers, lights, bonnet and a few electricals.

No Dougal! This one is small, but that one is far away. Small. FAR away!
Shel
Club manager
Coupe: Gen3
+_number: 2007

Post by Shel »

All the 2.0l subframes are the same from 2004 to 2008. The main bushes are not available as an OEM part but Lou Brooks at BRD Racing has developed replacement Poly bushes if ever needed.

As to welding a subframe it greatly depends on where the weld is needed. I welded a small rust hole in mine a few years ago with no issues whatsoever. If you think about it a subframe is actually welded together sections anyway.
Subframe Hole Cut Out.jpg
Subframe Hole Gone.jpg
These users thanked the author Shel for the post:
ShadowArcher (Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:02 pm)
People should really stop expecting normal from me... It's never going to happen :icon_cool:

My Coupe Build Diary viewtopic.php?f=72&p=328213#p328213
foxfeeder

Post by foxfeeder »

Lots of guidance here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspect ... -corrosion

Section 10 appears to be relevant to this.
These users thanked the author foxfeeder for the post:
Shel (Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:35 pm)

ShadowArcher
Getting to know you

Post by ShadowArcher »

Thanks. The mechanic who gave it the MOT check and told me it just needed a weld on the subframe has seen plenty go through with welds, but both places that I contacted to do the welding refused to do it because it will fail MOT with a weld. I Googled it and see a lot of people pointing to the above link and others, and pointing out that, yes, in some circumstances it will still go through, but it might depend on the individual person actually doing the test. Additionally, apparently the subframe for some reason doesn't necessarily adhere to the same rules as other parts of the car. I have wondered though if the mechanic was confused that the welders refused because he obviously knows the extent of the weld, whereas they just hear 'subframe' and refuse.

Maybe I'd be better to just put it through the MOT and if/when it fails, as them if a weld would be acceptable.

Also Shel, mine's a 2009 - does that mean a no to '04-'08 subframes? But an '09 SIII subframe would still be fine, wouldn't it? Sometimes I think I should just get rollerskates, with how little I know about cars...
foxfeeder

Post by foxfeeder »

There are no 2009 Coupe's, production stopped in 2008, but they took about a year to shift the backlog. The proof is the 10th digit in the VIN, which I'll bet in your car is an 8, meaning 2008. In any case, development had pretty much stopped a couple of years earlier, so there won't be any changes since 2006 of any consequence.

Perhaps a quick chat with friends, relatives, work colleagues locally will highlight the fussy MOT stations with the less fussy. I know for a fact that they vary. Years ago, I had to help my sister in law who's Astra failed on 4 counts. I sorted the 2 I agreed with, and re-submitted it with a different station as I thought the first one had been over-zealous. Result: a pass!
These users thanked the author foxfeeder for the post:
ShadowArcher (Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:02 pm)

ShadowArcher
Getting to know you

Post by ShadowArcher »

Ohh, that explains why I've had such a hard time finding anything about an '09 coupe :doh:

I know the place I usually get the MOT done has some decent people working there - one car I had barely squeezed through on the promise that I'd go straight from there to a garage to get something or other done (too worn tyres maybe), so maybe I should just give it a go.
Shel
Club manager

Post by Shel »

foxfeeder wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:36 pm There are no 2009 Coupe's, production stopped in 2008, but they took about a year to shift the backlog. The proof is the 10th digit in the VIN, which I'll bet in your car is an 8, meaning 2008. In any case, development had pretty much stopped a couple of years earlier, so there won't be any changes since 2006 of any consequence.
Yep.. spot on there. :handgestures-thumbupleft: The last were often TSiii but were registered as Siii and in some cases vice versa hence the confusion about the actual number of TSiii's. The official line was 101 if memory serves but we now know there was in fact over 250 possibly even 300 run out Coupe's with the TSiii livery.
ShadowArcher (Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:17 pm)
People should really stop expecting normal from me... It's never going to happen :icon_cool:

ShadowArcher
Getting to know you

Post by ShadowArcher »

In my defence, it's confusing when I look at things like an online MOT check, and it says 'Year of manufacture: 2009' lol. The last digit of the VIN is actually 7, too. If I ever sell it, I'll be sure to keep the 300 part quiet and let them know there were only 101 made... ;)
foxfeeder

Post by foxfeeder »

Yes, it should say year of first Registration. Not sure why they don't do it right as all VIN's have a date code. In some countries, like the US, the date of manufacture has to appear on the type plate. Incidentally, the date code is not the last digit, it's the 10th, of 17. On some vehicles it's a letter, so you need to do some digging to get it, but the GK Coupe's are numbers.

Shel
Club manager

Post by Shel »

This site will break the VIN down and give you a ton of info https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Hyundai
ShadowArcher (Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:06 pm)