Engine: 1.6
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2004 1.6 not starting

Post by sidneypjc »

Hi all
HNY 😊
Our 2004 1.6 Coupe won’t start
It’s been stride for 4 weeks through the cold. I’ve recharged the battery on trickle for two days until full( it’s 2 years old and a quality Bosch replacement for the original! )
I notice there’s no power to the radio or electric aerial.
Central locking and alarm packed up 12 months back, so
we lock doors with the key.
Engine has always fired instantly, and with no issues over the 50k miles done in our ownership.
Fuels levels good and fresh
No blown fuses,
Have added to the battery with jump cables from the van.
Appears to be no spark.
I tried today to plug in a code reader but this doesn’t power up either.
Hilts I’m familiar with older vehicles, I don’t know where to start, have cleaned the CPS
Any ideas? Any tips or points most appreciated
Phil

foxfeeder
Coupe: Veloster
Engine: 1.6
Has thanked: 0

Re: 2004 1.6 not starting

Post by foxfeeder »

Hi there,

If alarm is the Scorpion one (Black D shaped box on nearside bulkhead, fob with 2 buttons and green LED) then this is unrelated, and not unusual, they were unreliable. No power to radio and OBD port is wrong, so there's a power issue somewhere. Did you check the room fuse, the big yellow one, that doesn't look like a fuse? It is a normal fuse in a weird yellow cover, don't know why they did that, but odd things happen when it goes.

Do you have 2 keys? If so, have you tried both, and does it fail to start with either? Possibly an immobiliser issue, sadly the Gen 3 doesn't have a light on the dash to confirm the issue.

Ever had a new windscreen fitted? Just wondering if water damage to the BCM, the computer box that the fuses are in.

No Dougal! This one is small, but that one is far away. Small. FAR away!
Shel
Club manager
Coupe: Gen3
Engine: 2.0
+_number: 2007

Re: 2004 1.6 not starting

Post by Shel »

Have you checked the fuse that sits in the yellow holder? A lot of folk miss that one and it is often the cause of a lot issues you describe.
room fuse.JPG
As to non starting, do you have a dash light of a car with a key over it flashing?
People should really stop expecting normal from me... It's never going to happen :icon_cool:

My Coupe Build Diary viewtopic.php?f=72&p=328213#p328213